Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

when to sandblast?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Nov 7, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i got my SAS brackets today for my '92. i'm planning on sandblasting and painting the frame before it gets swapped under the truck. i'm thinking clean the areas to be welded up with an angle grinder and a few roloc discs, preassemble everything, then get it welded up, strip the suspension back off of it, and then paint and reassemble.

anybody see anything wrong with this? (other than its more work) will it weaken my welds any?

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't see how it could weaken them any. Clean metal will weld alot better than rusty or dirty metal....But, let's see some pics!!!!!

3. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

I just had my frame and tub sandblasted. I'd sandblast first, it gives you good clean metal that will go a long way to ensure your welds are not contaminated and therefore weakened. I'd paint everywhere, but where you are welding first. Once done prep the surfaces as you normally do and your as good as gold.

Blasting after its done works as well, I just like having clean parts to start with. Sanblasting wont weaken any welds, if anything it may (and thats MAY) help with reducing instances of micro cracking, just like shot peening of rods.