Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wher to get work in So. Cal?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swamp donkey, May 24, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I have a beat down, tore up '69 k5 that needs some major drivetrain (at the very least) work. I am in So. Cal and plan on dumping arounf $5k into it. Anyone reccomend one shop over the next? I am in Culver City (near LAX) I am thinking about taking it over to 4xDoctor in Burbank. Anyone got any better suggestions?

2. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I got a guy in Burbank who's not too bad but it's a little pricey. Al's Automotive. He's been cool with me but as I say you'll need some bucks. What do you plan on doing to the truck?
    If you do go to the other place let me know how they were, I'm always looking for a plan B.

Chris M

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

There's a shop in Burbank that specializes in Blazers: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmtruckcenter.com/>http://www.gmtruckcenter.com/</a>. Owner's name is Henrick. If they can't do the work, they'll probably know a reliable (and probably cost effective) shop.

4. swamp donkey

Thanks -

These guys seem great!! Might take it over Tuesday.

5. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I dont want to start talking out of school....but I know for a fact that Henrick has had a 2nd Gen in at 4XDoctor for a few months now.

Full on baja setup....full cage, engine cage with hoops, king shocks, blown big block, 4XDoc designed custom track bars, D60, 14FF, line locks, etc.

I got the impression that Henrick and those guys mostly do restoration work. Dont know for sure, but they dont seem to be doing much of their own 4X4 setup.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Deciding to use a little "tough love" on your K5? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Good for you! It sure beats having to sell it, and regret it later on. I hope that you can get the problems fixed so you can start enjoying K5 ownership, and maybe even get the wife to like it too!!!!

Good luck!

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Henrick has told me that they shop some stuff out. Yes, I think they do a lot of resto. Do you have any data on whether you'd get a better price going directly to the sub?

8. swamp donkey

I am still going back and forth on 4xdoctor (who build big badass 4x4s) or GMTRUCKS (who build nice trucks). At the end of the day I just need areliable, capable truck. I know 4xdoctor can build a beast, but is that what I want? I only have $5k to spend and need to use it in the best way. ohh the choices... the choices.

9. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

i know henrick, he does alot of resto work as well as lifts,engines, etc. Theres a place in Van Nuys called 4wheel specialties his name is Dwain he can do it all.
    ORU is a bit expensive and forsure stay our to 4 wheelparts.