Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where 2 Start! my 71 blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greythorn3, Mar 3, 2007.

1. greythorn3

greythorn3 1/2 ton status

Sometimes it seems there is so much to tackle that i dont know where to start.. i know i would like to put my 3/4 ton 14 bolt int he rear and eliminate them 4" blocks also convert my d44 front to 8 lug.. or gather the rest of the parts to install my d60 i have.. anyhow here is some picutres of my 71 blazer..

I will add to this thread when i get somthing done.. so far all i got done is get a 350 engine in it with a new clutch for the sm465..

[​IMG]

I would love some ORD shackle flip brackets or some DIY ones they look beefy! but not sure what ones to order to make my 84 14bolt axle spring pads match up....

[​IMG]

Any money saving tips will help allot.. i have some spring handger off the 84 k20 for the rear spring i cut off.. so if i could make them work with the k20 14 bolt to use onthe blazer that would be nice.. also does anyone know of a fix for the cracking rear hatch around the hindge? i have it on one side..

ray

2. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

Take your time and only tackle one project at a time. I have a million things left to do on my Blazer but I can take as long as I want to do them all.

3. RedDevil

RedDevil 1/2 ton status

I agree, don't get too overwhelmed with trying to do everything at once. Pace yourself. With my 72, I'm just doing one thing at a time, which kinda turned into one BIG thing when it comes to the body work. But I'm just starting at the front and working my way to back, as $$$ allows.

4. greythorn3

yep

Well i think the worst part is the body i can do the mechanical stuff pretty good.. and thats where i will start but heres some of the cancer pics

Drivers door bottom & some other problems

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. greythorn3

a few more pics

Picture worth 1000 words.. here a few more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. greythorn3

7. greythorn3

hi

pictures of crack in topper hinge area

[​IMG]

8. RedDevil

RedDevil 1/2 ton status

I have about the same amount of work ahead of me as you do. I already got the gallon of Rust Bullet ready to go. LMC is going to love me.

9. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I agree about tackling one part of the job at a time. It is easy to tear these completely apart and try to do it all at once, but a lot more fun to do it in steps so you can drive it some after each aspect is completed.

RedDevil - when you are getting parts, I like the LMC catalog to help me identify what I need, but I find the online vendors have better prices and tend to know more about these trucks. I particularily like Tim at http://www.christiansclassics.com/ and Paul at http://www.gmcpaulstruckparts.com/. Both really are into these trucks and very helpful.

10. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a similar but much worse crack in my hatch right there. Mine cracked in half. I'm about 1/2 way through repairing it. I'll try to post some pictures of what I did to see if it helps. Basically, you need some fiberglass mat and epoxy for fiberglass applications, and lots of disposible rubber gloves. :)

11. greythorn3

inside rear floor

any of you guys know if a wood bed kit would work for theback of this? i would love to put one of them in there.. ray

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

My friends dad did one in his 71 jimmy, not sure what kit he bought but I am sure it was a pickup kit.

13. greythorn3

bed kit

I think that wood be pretty cool!! hahaha no relly.. it would... wood is a good insulator and also deadens noise also.. this will be a lite wheeling rig.. even know i got plans for a dana 60 and 14 bolt!!! haha who knows.. when i see rust it makes me wana just cut it up and make a trial buggy.. but i got pleanty of fords for that!! haha

Ray

14. greythorn3

Got somthing acomplished!!!!

I got my 14bolt rear axle under the blazer WOO HOO!!! 456 gearing open carrier disc brakes.. sweet... took 2 days to build.. gotta pick me up a combo ujoint now to get the shaft connected.. dana spicer 5-460X.. hopefully next week i will get the dana 60 in the front!!! summer = progress

Ray

15. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the progress! I get most of my progress done in the winter. Got any pics with the 14 bolt in place?

16. greythorn3

pictures

will get some pictures after i get done installing the stock shackles with the bottoms cut out and braced for reversals... man cant wait to install the front axle!! i still gotta paint the calipers too!

Ray

17. greythorn3

Ok more progress!

Got my dana 60 in the front now too! and removed the manual steering box and put in a power steering box!! YES nothing fancy yet still the stock steering ont he dana 60 front. the previous owner mounted a swaybar on the front of my blazer too.. not sure if im going to keep it but i bolted it to the d60 anyhow . i also have some 15" 8 lug wheels with 35" BFG at's on them! no grinding required with the very little backspacing.. maybe 1 inch! i will haev to measure! also put in a different front drive shaft since the one it had was thrashed.. i really hate this old style shaft connectiona t the xfer case.. its like a ujoint and not a flange.. a real buggger to bolt up compared to the newer ones.. anyone know if a newer flange will fit?

ray

18. greythorn3

some pics of spring hanger reversal and axles and body..

Ray

DSC00228.JPG

DSC00229.JPG

DSC00230.JPG

DSC00231.JPG

DSC00233.JPG

19. greythorn3

more

mor pics of progress

DSC00234.JPG

DSC00235.JPG