Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where are the electricians? I have a little electric motor question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a little electric motor that turns an auger on an older pellet stove. It doesn't work. I took it apart and the gear reduction box is well greased and everything spins fine. But the motor won't spin at all. How hard is it to rebuild a little electric motor?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

have u tried..

Do you think its seized bearings?--I've taken quite a few electric motors apart--some survived,some did not!..a few with seized bearings I coaxed back to life with WD-40 and gently forcing the armature to turn..yours probably dried up being behind a stove..I just resurected a squirrel cage 110V blower motor I use behind my wood stove in the shop..it was rusted solid--got wet and didn't use it all year..it would only hum when I plugged it in!..several squirts of WD-40 and turning it with a drill for a few minutes freed it right up!.. :laugh:

I've never attempted to rewind the armature or feild coils,but basically they are very similar to an alternator,though some dont use brushes,its not too hard to take one apart,putting the brushes back in can be difficult though.

--I've swapped motors from electric fans onto other things that had nearly identical motors..new motors are not always costly either..if you have any numbers on your old one,you can probably get one from W.W.Grainger for 20-30 bucks.or somewhere similar online..Post a picture of it!--maybe a GM blower motor could be adapted,using a battery charger to power it.. :thinking: :crazy:

3. mountainexplorer

Everything turns freely.

Here's how it looks.

augermotor1.JPG

augermotor2.JPG

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Can you turn it with your hand? If it moves freely by hand, there is probably buildup on the contacts. A little emory cloth and you should be good to go.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Get some 'contact cleaner' from Radio Shack and spray it inside the motor. It might just have carbon build up due to wear from the brushes. Also, check the resistance on the field windings/input of the motor. You should get a fairly low resistance, probably less than 50 ohms. When all else fails, take those 2 screws out and take it apart. That's the only real way to see what the problem is. I figure it the factory can reassemble it then so can I. :p:
    If you do take it apart then post those pics too.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

or you can use a pencil eraser, works real good on slot car tracks to

7. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

what are the specs and model number/brand etc.......depending on what it is those are usually dirt cheap motors.....they are really common in bath/kitchen fans

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So much more than just a motor...

Time to bust out the multimeter.

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I don't see a start cap in either of thise pics. That motror should be a slow RPM/medium torque, correct? If so the easiest thing to do would be to get a rotisserie motor to replace it with.

10. diesel4me

Ohh..that kind!...

I've had a few electric heater's fans and a record player that had the same motor as that one (that style anyway"..not 100% positive,but I think those dont use brushes,they are an "shaded pole" motor--they are not very rugged,the wire in the coils are like human hair--doesnt take much to burn them out!.. :(

..I see some in my Grainger catalog nearly identical--says they are used in furnaces,bathroom fans,refidgerators,humidifers,hair driers,range hoods,evaparators,slide projectors,and WOOD STOVES!.. :D ..maybe one of your old campers has one in a range hood,or the furnace,or the refridgerator?? :thinking: :wink1:

None of them cost much more than 30 bucks,many are much cheaper- (1995 catalog prices though!)..I bet you'll find one in something else you can cannibalize..good luck! :crazy:

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats just a fart fan driving that reduction box . Sell hundreds of those . Only two things go wrong woth those motors . Either the little bushings in the end gum up , or the end with the wires coming out of it burns up .

The shaft may be a simmilar size to another in a local store .

It can be taken apart and cleaned up , and that reduction box can be cleaned up too . Use an oil like for air tools in there so its nice and slippery .

Beware when you put it back together which side the buss bar is on , that determines rotation .

12. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Very Common Motor,,

Very common skeleton frame motor,,any HVAC or refrigeration supply house should have it. Or Graingers,,

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

or like I said , my store ;)

14. mountainexplorer

Is it a 110 motor? It's actuated by a little control box... someone told me they thought it might be 12 volt and the box send a 12 volt signal to it.

I've had it all apart and back together again with the exception to the wire or winding part or whatever it's called. Still doesn't work and nothing seems to be wrong.

15. diesel4me

Doubt it..

All the ones like yours pictured in my Graingers catalog are 110V ac motors..-no 12V DC ones listed that look like that..that control box probably tells the motor when to energize when it senses the stove is low on pellets(must have a timer or sensor somewhere?)..you can use a house lamp as a 110V test light,to see if any power is going to the box,then to the motor,if you have no multimeter..just be careful not to get zapped!. :eek1: :crazy:

16. mountainexplorer

Well, we plugged a 110 cord onto the wires from the motor and it doesn't engage. So I'm thinking it must be the motor itself that bad in the wires on it somewhere. I should just take it in to Grainger and get another one.