Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where are the instrument panel light bulbs? (1985 Blazer)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tungsten, Dec 31, 2003.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Just as the subject says. I pulled the front bezel off of the instrument panel yesterday (talk about a ton of screws holding that damn thing in place) but could not see any immediately accessible light bulbs behind it.

Are they behind the gauge cluster itself? I'm hoping not as that looks like even less fun to remove. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My gauges are all fairly hard to read at night and I've got a feeling that all but one or two bulbs are burned out behind them. Would like to correct that before I have to drive this thing at night.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Once you've got the bezel off, you need to remove the clear plastic cover. Then behind that is the black cover that shrouds all the guages. Once removed you will see the bulbs. But to replace some/most of the bulbs you have to remove the gauge(s) to get to it. They have one or two screws, and then they pull out of the cluster.

Sounds harder than it is. If you've got the big bezel off, you have done the hard part.

John

3. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Thanks, John. I will tackle this over the upcoming weekend.

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

the last time i replaced mine i reached under the dash and felt my way for them. i had 2 that were not working, so im not sure if you can reach all of them but i did get the ones over the gauges..

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Just a thought, but you might want to paint the backside of the black plastic cover for the gauges too.

It should be blue right now, but if you get some good "chrome" spray paint the gauges will be a lot easier to see at night! I just did this to mine and it works great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

There was a post on how to do this not too long ago.

7. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just a thought, but you might want to paint the backside of the black plastic cover for the gauges too.

It should be blue right now, but if you get some good "chrome" spray paint the gauges will be a lot easier to see at night! I just did this to mine and it works great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I saw that other thread while searching for info on this. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB45&Number=148203&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

I think I'll be doing that to mine when I have it apart next. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I did one of my Blazers, now I have to do the other. The paint works great.