Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where? Built 700r4.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Dec 26, 2001.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

There was a post on here about a company down south that was building 700's 4 wheel'n. Does anybody remember where this was? I think they were calling their finished product "rapter". If nobody knows I'm open for suggestions on where to find a built 700r4. Some of you might remember me doing a 700/208 swap to a 350/203, well I'm tired of getting stuck and left behind. Its time to get back to business.
    Any help sent my way... thanx in advance.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

2. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my 700 last week. GM has a factory-remanufactured unit (highly recommended by several friends) for $1200. It has all of the factory upgrades (up to the time they stopped making the 700R4) and a 3/50k warranty. Because of some recent surgery I had to have them install it. The price wasn’t to bad $1760 for everything including a new TV cable. The best part is that if I have any trouble out of it, I just take it to the nearest GM dealer, pay their warranty surcharge ($50-$200) and get a new tranny. They just pull it and stick a new one in, then send the old one to Mexico to be remanufactured. I hated to pay to have somebody do something that I could do (normally), but because of what it added to the warranty, I couldn’t argue to hard. Hopes this helps.

Yer born at point "A" &amp; yer gonna die at point "B". Kick maximun arse in between.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The place that make the Raptor is called the Transmission Center. Here is there website: http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Wingnutt... There is no 50-200$ surcharge. The warranty is 3 years or 50,000 miles. Just service the new trans as the dealer says and your good to go...Jim

88 Silverado K5 5.7-700R-208-10 bolts-4.56-35in
    Procomp AT's- some ORD stuff & a CV driveshaft

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Did one of those GM 3/50's about 3 years ago... done by local 4x4 shop where truck was when (tranny) death struck. Money was about the same. had it serviced annually and not a bit of problems with it. (oh, and for last 2 years been pulling a 30' travel trailer as well!) Think it was a good deal!

Those raptors do sound pretty tought for about the same money. Wasn't aware of them at that time. It'd be a tough choice now. GM has more outlets for follow-on (if needed) than Raptor seems to.
    Just my $$00.02 worth...

6. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

What is the fluid change recommendations from the factory for the 700R4 - and......do you have to mail anything in when you get the tranny from GM.....also.....does it matter if you install it yourself or does a certified garage have to do it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Im not sure on how often to service trans. I do mine about 4 times a year. You do not have to mail anything. Your reciept
    and your warranty card (if thet gave you one) is all you really
    need. The warranty card is good to have. It doesn't matter if you did it in the driveway or if a shop did it. It does have to be the correct part number for the application or the warranty is 12 &amp; 12. Just for grins I'd run all that past the dealer you bought it from-Jim

8. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

JIM:

Thanks.....just to get this straight - if there are probs with the tranny, the will replace it? Or will they try to fix it? I am having severe slippage from 2 - 3 ---- it is driving me mad! I have had it 1yr 6mo. and only 9K miles. I just got the fluid completely transferred last month. Since you are with GM.....how should I approach the service desk. The guys down here are complete idiots - Any special words or a special plan of attack? The GM dealer here hates warranty work, I do not know why. They will also try to charge me, I am sure, for something. They tried to charge me a service charge when I had the timing verified and had the tech install my own new Accell Distributor. So, any words of wisdom are welcome.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Almost all techs dislike warranty work because it pays less than customer pay. If you did a clean install job and if you got the right part number they can't jerk you around. Also, you don't have to take it back to the dealer you bought it from. Any
    GM dealer will honor the waranty.Now if it will cost less to repair than to replace they will do that. Its not so much the dealer setting the rules, it's the dealer following GM's rules.
    If they jerk you around go to another dealer or call GM customer service. If you took them a distributor to install they
    absolutely will charge you. They don't work on cars for free.
    Let me know how it turns out.-Jim

10. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

one other tid-bit on install... is new torque converter and insuring the lines/radiator/cooler are all flushed/new as well. I think that's part of the fine-print of the warr.

11. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

Gunz, The raptor is made in the lovely(right) state of LA not to far from ya just inside the border from TX on 20, I am getting the raptor in feb after checking w/ some of the satisfied buyers here on the forums, have yet to hear a bad thing, Innerpiece helped me out w/ some info too, on the site it is advertised cheaper for tranny and install than shipping and the install cost is negated through a "core" rebate, that there may be enough for ya to take a small drive, buddy is towing me 2 hours plus there is a military discount which I am glad to take advantage of, all in all it is getting more and more worth my time and money to buy from here, $0.02 hth

Also comes w/ TC

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've dealt with this guy for parts (Dana is who you will likely talk to) for my 200-4R, and he was knowledgeable. I see he is now building 700-R4's, www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a PATC Raptor. I havent really abused it yet, but it does have nice firm/consistant shifts. Definitely an improvement over my stock 15 year old 700r4. I got the optional upshift sleeve (think thats what it was, I am tired right now) that keeps the rig in OD when at freeway speeds, helping to prevent shifting back/forth (common in stock 700s), and therefore extra work on the tranny, and prolly a little gas mileage too. If I had ever checked my gas mileage before the installtion, I could tell ya if there was improvement or not... ;)

At any rate, I highly recommend the Raptor. If you plan on running a blown 454 and 44s you may need a stronger tranny (as in, not ANY kind of 700R4...maybe a BUILT TH400)...otherwise, the raptor is a great OD-capable slush box.

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

14. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, the mechanic was the one who told me about the "charge" when he showed me where my truck was parked. He said that he wasn't 100 % positive but not to be surprised if there was one.

Yer born at point "A" & yer gonna die at point "B". Kick maximun arse in between.