Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where can i buy a NP208 rebuild kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Mar 19, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

i was driving to work the other day and the transfer case slipped into nuetral, not the shifter but in the inside. after doing some searching on the site i figure that one of my my shift forks is worn or maybe both.

anyway while i have the t-case out and apart i'm going to rebuild the whole thing but i can't find any places that sale rebuild kits, i mean all the bearings, seals, forks, chain, etc...

so if any of you guys could help me out and let me know who sales a rebuild kit and everything i'd appreciate it

and i also found 2 different chains on summitracing.com for the 208 and was wondering if anyone has used it

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can get a rebuild kit on ebay for i think $129. no rebuild kits come with a chain, you have to buy it seperatly. if you bent a fork, really the only place to buy a new one is from the dealer. the part that wears on the forks is the pads that come with the rebuild kit.

there are only 2 chains for the 208s one for chevy/dodge/jeep and one for ford. the ford chain is i think 3" longer. a np241 chain for a chevy is the same as the np208.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If the pads wear off the forks the forks can be damaged. It can damage them beyond repair. www.drivetrain.com offers alot of 208 parts. The dealer is another outlet if you can't find them on the net. In my experience it is sometimes easier to piece together 2 different cases to get 1 good case. I have done this on several occasions. There are 208's floating around the net and most are pretty reasonably priced if your case is pretty messed up. I can be cheaper to freshen up another 208 that is in better shape then yours if yours is pretty wasted.

Harley

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The chain is used only when the truck is in 4WD. Unless your truck has spent a LOT of miles in 4WD, then the chain is probably just fine.

5. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

well i got the t-case out and i'll be splitting it tomorrow when i have some free time at work (it's great working at a dealership that doesn't care:haha:) but when i drained the fluid there was some metal in it.

but i never had any problems with it until the other day and after i had to drive it the rest of the way home in 4L i decided to pull it... so how bad could the forks or counter gear be? is there a counter or cluster gear in there?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 208 uses a planetary gearset, like what you would find inside an auto trans. So you won't find a cluster or counter gear like you would expect to see in a manual trans.