Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where can i buy the tool to remove the top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, Apr 20, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I am 99% sure i am finally getting a K5 Monday!!!!!!! and looking at it, i realized the screws to hold the shell on were like stars with a metal circle uprose in the center, so i need a screw driver that has a astrick ( * ) shaped head with a circle hole in the center, where can i purchase one?

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Autozone and Pep Girls and Sears all carry them in Lisle - what you need is a T-40 "security" Torx. Also check with Napa (K-D which is really a Matco). If there's any indication of rust on the truck, get some valve lapping compound and put it on the socket - it'll keep it from trying to walk out of a siezed bolt. (Some of us here who shall remain unnamed (me) have ended up breaking out the side window with a ratchet)/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

After you get them out take them to the hardware store and get some hex head bolts then you never have to worry about those things stripping...mike

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Don't waste your money on a security torx socket. Take them out with a pair of vise grip locking pliers and replace them with hex head bolts.

Also pay attention to the seat belts for the back seat. Mine are bolted to the top so when I have the top off, I have no seat belts in the back.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ah Ha....Now I finally know what happened to mine. Cause there aren't belts there anymore and no place drilled in the body for them to mount. Not really a big deal since I can fab something up and I already sold the top, but this is enlightening.

6. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

It's a royal pain. I don't know if they HAD to go to shoulder belts or what. But with the top off, you have no belts and a big hole to fly out off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif .