Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHERE CAN I FIND A DANA 80 REAR

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Jun 22, 2000.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a single wheel dana 80. Gears don't mater
    or vehicle it came out of. I have a 14 bolt and it has not
    broke yet, but I have seen my friends brake them. Both are on 44 boggers. one broke the detroit locker. the other broke
    a ring gear. The cheapest one I found in Oregon was $900
    out of a 94 dodge 3500. Does anyone know where one is?
    Thanks.

Brian

MUDNUT

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Good luck on this one!
    I believe that the heavier "newer style" Dodge pickups (and maybe only the ones with the Cummins or V-10) were the only vehicles offered with a Dana 80 equipped with the standard 8 lug bolt pattern, so they are probably pretty rare in a junkyard. These Dana 80's are actually considered hybrids as it is an 80 centersection (ring and pinion, diff) with Dana 70 axle tubes......most standard 80's were used in larger trucks and had oddball (for light duty pickups) wheel bolt patterns.

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Good Lord Brian, what are building, some kind of tank? [​IMG]

Steve

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I ain't never heard of a DANA 80, WOW is that like 1 1/2ton of something???????????
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

MOst Dana 80s are dually axles, used in 1 ton trucks. My brother's 1 ton Dodge 4X4 (dually) has one.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I have a buddy who was (about 8 months ago) parting out a '95 Dodge 4x4 that had a Dana 80 in it, and he couldn't GIVE it away!! Too bad our timing wasn't right!!

ken

7. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Hey-what about a Dana 135? I read something about it awhile back and it was offered in one of the big 3's dually-can't remember which one.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

My dad's F-550 cab and chassis has a D135 in it. Massive axle, no ground clearance. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I wonder how hard it would be to break a Dana 135?[​IMG] How much does one cost anyway?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

10. Brians 60s

Steve,
    Tank running gear probably wouldn't be bad. But seriously
    I want to be on 44 boggers with a 509 bill mitchel crate
    motor in a 94 blazer solid axle conversion and not have
    to worry about breaking running gear. I am also actually
    considering a dana 70 front end. I have one but it is drum
    brake out of a 74 dodge fire truck. I would like to convert
    it to disc or maybe even find one that is disc brakes if they do exist. This is a big buck project that will take a
    while so I'm not in a hurry.

MUDNUT

11. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Brian, why don't you just go with 2 1/2 ton axles? My cousin and I are building a mud bogger out of a 3/4 ton 77 Chevy, using 2 1/2 ton GMC axles out of a 60s GMC 6x6 truck. The front axle was BOLT-IN!! The spring pads lined right up. The steering will take a little fabricating to get everything right, but not too bad. They are drum brakes but, they are dual cylinder drum brakes made to stop a truck weighing more than twice as much as the 77. The cool thing about them is running single 20" rims front and rear the tires are completely under the truck (it has a 12" Superlift to clear the 42" tall 9.00 x 20s). Boyce Equipment http://www.boyceequipment.com has 15" wheels that will fit 2 1/2 ton axles so running 44" Boggers is not a problem (the 15" wheels also space the tires out more). And to top everthing off, we got the pair of axles (one front and one rear), and the transfercase (that is a divorced case) for $150, YES I said $150 for a transfercase and two 2 1/2 ton axles!!! And the guy we bought them from begged us to get the chassis out of his yard as soon as possible. Boyce Equipment also carries Detroit lockers for the 2 1/2 ton GMC axles, as well as replacement parts. Even freshly reworked GMC 2 1/2 ton axles from Boyce are cheaper than Dana 60s.
    Another guy that bogs in our area runs 2 1/2 ton GMC axles under a short box full size frame, with an S-10 pickup body, with 52" tractor tires on it, and he drives right past the guys stuck in 4x4 with 44s, in two wheel drive!
    Sorry so long but I think you'll save a lot of cash if you just switch to 2 1/2 tons.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://jeff427.coloradok5.com

12. Brians 60s

Jeff,
    Thanks a lot for all of your info. I really had never considered going to 2.5 ton because of ground clearance and
    cost. But I will be checking into it. You got a smoking deal
    on your axles. I would love to find parts that cheap. When
    you get your 77 done, I would sure appreciate an E-Mail picture at sgrossman@coinet.com Again thanks for all the info.
    Brian

MUDNUT

13. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Brian, I emailed some pics even though it isn't done yet. I don't think you'll lose that much ground clearence going from Dana 70/80 to 2.5 ton. You may be able to get better clearance with Rockwell axles over GMC, but I'm not sure. I haven't worked with Rockwells. You may want to compare them. As far as finding deals, if you just keep your eyes peeled and aren't in a rush, you can usually come up with some good deals.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://jeff427.coloradok5.com