Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can I find a TH400?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by not4show, Sep 5, 2001.

1. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about ditching the SM465 and going with a TH400 instead. My question is, what kind of trucks did these trannys come in? Was the TH400 ever offered in a half ton truck? Did Blazers ever come with a TH400 from the factory? I just need to get an idea of which trucks I need to look for that might have a TH400.

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the TH400 generaly came in the 3/4 ton trucks, and behind big blocks, because it takes a lot more torque to make them turn. they also last a lot longer in such applications, and are far stronger then the TH350. I'm interested in your SM 465 if you decide to swap for a th400... as long as you can get me all the accessories, and you aren;t too far from phoenix AZ....

-Rich

ph34r m3!

1337 TruXoR

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i would look for the heavy duty 3/4 ton trucks, just remember that a th400 is and electric kick down so get the wire for it when you get the tranny.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i've been thinking about this also, did they come attached to NP205s? i was thinking of possibly pulling a complete assembly.

"If it is breakable, IT will break. If it is indestructable, I will find a way to make it breakable, and I will break it."--Knife

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Depends on what T-case you want to use. I just did this swap into my 83 Jimmy. A regular car 400 with the tailshaft housing removed is what you need with a 205. A 208 output is shorter, and a 203 output shaft is shorter than the 208. Other than the output shaft dillemma I had, the tranny was a direct bolt-in. The tranny and adapter was the same length as the 465 and it's adpater. The driveshafts were not modified and the X-member was not moved.

Just remember all 400's have a 32 spline output shaft.
    (This is assuming the tranny you look at has not been converted to a 27 spline output for a 700R4 swap.)

Let me know if I can help anymore.. I'll be happy to share any other info I have.

JH

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy K20 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 w/8.1L & Allison Auto

6. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

So, a car TH400 and a truck TH400 are the same? And, if I found a two-wheel drive with a TH400, would it work? By-the-way the T-case would be a NP-205. Thanks.

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

From what I have learned over the past 6 months I think I am correct. I have been through alot of crap trying to get this sorted out. Very long story short, a 400 from a car with a regular 5" tailhousing on it should in my experience bolt up to a 32 spline 205 t-case with the proper adapter.

I would get a second opinion, but I think I am 90% correct here. I can only offer what I have learned the hard way. I bought (2) two different trannies and they were both wrong, I ended up having to get a local shop to install the correct ouput shaft. I am running a 208 case. The tranny for the 205 looked identical to the 400 for a car with the 5" tailhousing removed.

JH

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy K20 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 w/8.1L & Allison Auto

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

They are mostly the same. The car and truck cases bolt up the same but there are some differences in the strength of the case. The truck case, not sure if 2wd or 4wd makes a difference, are thicker and have provisions for using a HD cover with cross braces to the engine. I've heard that the truck case is 10-50% stronger. I ran a BOP TH400 behind my 455 buick for a lot of years with no problems so I guess it depends on how hard you are going to use it.