Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can I find info on 6.5 Diesel engines?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Blazer79, May 26, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

A good friend of mine just bought a 1990 4wd 1ton truck. It has a 6.5 diesel engine that needs some good care, especially the injection stuff. Where can I find some good info on these engines? I'd like to find something like this forum but for 6.5L engines.

Thanks

Thanks.

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Ditto on what Oblin said, 'though the 6.5L was actually introduced in '92 in some applications.

The 6.5L and 6.2L are nearly identical, so the guys here and over on the diesel page are the best on the net. The 6.5L is based on the 6.2L, with just a larger bore and better heads. The external parts swap over, which means you can install 6.5L heads on a 6.2L and vice versa.

However, the '94 and later trucks have electronic injection pumps, and that requires special knowledge to work on.

Casey

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your posts. I just registered on that site and I'm waiting for my activation.

There is a good chance that the engine was swapped in this truck. Is there a way to tell the difference between the 6.2 and the 6.5?

Thanks again.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

It's hard to tell the difference between the 6.2L and 6.5L The easiest way to tell is to see if there is a sticker on the driver's side valve cover which will state that it is a 6.5L, and give all the HP specs and such. If that sticker is not there, then you'd need to get some numbers off the block and heads to find out for sure what it is.

Casey