Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can i find information on how to assemble/disassemble my 14FF?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

I'd like to change whatever i have to (bearings, seals and brakes), but i'm not sure how everything exactly works.. Is there a write up on it somewhere? Thanks

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I've worked on a few FF axles, what do you need to know how to do?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

i took out the axle shaft, does the drum now come off?
    Then what seals need to be replaced? I'd lke to refresh everything before i put it up. Seeing alot of sealing problems with the 14 bolters...
    Also i have a 6inch Superlift system going in, told him it was for a 3/4 ton, think i got the bigger u bolts, what about the spring perchs?

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The drum does not come right off now. Remove the clip the goes around the spindle then remove the little rectangle thing (dont loose it or your screwed). Now you have to remove the bearing nut. There is a special socket for it, but I used a punch & hammer to loosen it, then I took it off by hand. Once that is off, slide the drum and hub off the spindle Be careful that the outer bearing doesnt fall down on the floor. The seal is in the back of the hub. I tried a large prybar and got pissed at it, so I used a slide hammer and it came right out. Now would be a good time to inspect the bearings for pits, scratches or wear. Place the bearing back in and gently tap in the new seal with a small hammer. If you told the shop the springs are for a 3/4 ton truck, they might have given you the stiffer springs. It should come with the right u-bolts. If the axle is from a 73-87 3/4 ton it will bolt up under your truck, you just have to get the hybrid u-joint (napa part #447). Any other questions just ask.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]