Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where can i find the best? What is the best?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Mar 29, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

Im not sure what gears i have in my blazer i think 308 but could be 342.
    I had a set of axles bought with 411 in them, but the guy bent me over.
    So now im looking to just buy gears and do it right, looking for 456 gears but dont know what i need or where to get them.
    Can any one help?
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

> Im not sure what gears i have in my blazer i think 308
    > but could be 342.

this would be a good thing to know... if the stock gears are in it, you might check the manufacturer's label in the glove box to find out what gears your axles have. If the gears may have been changed (ie, you're not the original owner of the rig or the axles), it'd be best to take the diff cover off and count the teeth to figure out what gearing ya currently have. They say that knowing where you are is atleast as important as knowing where you are headed...

> I had a set of axles bought with 411 in them, but the
    > guy bent me over.

...not even gonna touch this one... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

> So now im looking to just buy gears and do it right,
    > looking for 456 gears but dont know what i need or where
    > to get them.

what engine/tranny/tcase/axle/tire combination are you running? do you even need 4.56 gears? If so, I suggest you identify exactly which axles you have, what your current gear ratio is etc and then contact a reputable dealer to get your 4.56s. If you dont know or trust anyone local, you might contact the gurus at Randys Ring and Pinion...

http://www.randysringandpinion.com/home.shtml

they certainly know their stuff and are pretty well known as being a quality supplier.

lastly, the best advice i can give is to keep reading messages here on ck5, and to do searches to help answer questions you may have. 2-3 years ago when I first started working on my rig, I didnt know jack... ck5 has been the main source of info for me since that time and now I have just enuff knowledge to be dangerous. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

3. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

alrighty thanks alot
    i have a 76 blazer with 350 engine, 350 turbo tranny, 203 t-case getting ready to put m/m conversion in ( i been saying that for months now) dana 44 up front, and 12 bolt rear and 35/17.50/15 M/T baja claws
    i may not need 456 but when i go up to my 38's it would be nice to have
    the motor is gutless so every lil bit helps
    i know they are stock axles the guy i got it from bought it new, but the sticker is gone out of the dash
    i dont know what to count when i pulled the cover off so that would do me about as much good as umm well i just dont know but
    i was told i should replace my carier and ring and pinion, so it shouldnt matter what gears i have if im wanting to replase all that right?
    i honestly dotn know thats why im asking?
    i thank you for the info and the site i had no idea where to gt gears

BTW: on the guy bending me over let me tell ya the story
    about 3 months ago he comes to me ( when i worked at a car and truck acessory stor) telling me he needed dual shock brackets and shocks for a 79 one ton he is building for a pulling truck
    i told him i needed some axles
    he had a 44 and 12 bolt with 4:11 in them, so i said lets trade
    i got the shocks and the brackets
    now he has the shocks and the brackets, and wont give e the axles
    so he bent me over
    instead of making trouble, im just going to write off the 200 bucks i had in the shocks and brakets and move on
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Send the guy who "bent you over" a bill with a copy of the parts reciept for pricing and tell him to reimburse you for it. If not, he just committed theft and you will seek the local po-po for further help. As long as you have the proof that you paid for them and the "bender over" guy has the items, he is screwed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

> alrighty thanks alot
    > i have a 76 blazer with 350 engine, 350 turbo tranny, 203
    > t-case

yeah, the th350 has no overdrive... so the problem with lower gears (like 4.56s) is that your rpms will be pretty high at freeway speed. if you are going to trailer the rig, its no biggie, hell, put in 4.88s! If not, its something to consider. I run 35" tires on the freeway in my 85, but I also have a 7004r (which has OD). I dont know if the th350 and 700r4 are geared exactly the same, but i can tell you that without OD my rig would suck to drive at 60mph. engine would be racing the whole time.

> getting ready to put m/m conversion in ( i been saying
    > that for months now)

good times, always nice to be able to go to 2wd when u r on-road.

> i may not need 456 but when i go up to my 38's it would
    > be nice to have the motor is gutless so every lil bit
    > helps

yikes. for tires like 38s, 4.56 *would* help a lot. I run 39.5s when i am off-road with my 4.56s. Problem is your motor is, as you say, "gutless". Thats not going to help matters. My 350 is a relatively new crate motor, but i can tell when I am driving on the 39.5s that over time, as my engine slowly goes "gutless" that it might not be enuff and I'll have to go 383 or maybe even big-block.

> i know they are stock axles the guy i got it from bought
    > it new, but the sticker is gone out of the dash
    > i dont know what to count when i pulled the cover off so
    > that would do me about as much good as umm well i just
    > dont know but i was told i should replace my carier and
    > ring and pinion, so it shouldnt matter what gears i have
    > if im wanting to replase all that right?

sorta depends. for example, if you went with 4.10 gears instead of 4.56, you might not need a new carrier, just the ring and pinion. Dunno if its the same with the D44 front, but in the D60 front there is one carrier that is used for 4.10 and lower ratios and a different one for 4.56 and up. If the d44 is the same, yeah, you're gonna have to replace all that stuff if u go 4.56(r&p and carrier). Thats gonna cost $... especially if you are paying someone else to do it. At some point it may be cheaper to sell whatever axle you have and swap in a different one that already has the gears you need. Not to mention the fact that if you are going to run 38s, you would prolly wanna have 1 ton axles anyway, unless your rig is a mall cruiser.

> i thank you for the info and the site i had no idea
    > where to gt gears

np, i do what i can. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You can get gears from lots of different places, I got my last set from 4 wheel parts wholesalers. (think its www.4wheelparts.com) That said, the peeps over at Randys are top notch, and I would take their technical advice to heart... unlike the boys at 4wp.

> BTW: on the guy bending me over let me tell ya the story

i have to agree with the other guy that responded... if the guy stole things from you call the cops, report it, and then file in small claims court.

j