Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where can i find this axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 2, 2002.

does n e truck have a dana 60 reverse rotation(high pinion) with a passengerside pumpkin? i heard that the only stock dana 60 was from ford and they are driver side pumpkin. where can i find one and how muchhdo you think they would be?

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Every K30 Chevy made came with a D60 front. I think they started in 77 or 78 all the way through 91. They are all passenger side diffs.

Sparky

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

mmm a high pinion one... may have to try a dodge front??

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ford only, dodge and chev both swapped to DS didnt they?

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

GM K30's from 1977 to 1991 have non reverse rotation passenger side D60's. Prior to 1977 there were K30 1 tons, but they had D44's in them, their uprated springs were what supposedly made them 1 tons.

All of Dodge's 1 tons and some of their 3/4 tons had D60 fronts with passenger side diffs. They are becoming a common swap for 87 and older GM users as all they have to do are make the spring perches and springs match up. I have no clue if they are high pinion or regular rotation. After 94 they went to an internal differential actuator ("engager"), so you'd have to rig something up so you could put the actuator control in the cab.

Ford has always had driver's side, high pinion D60's on their 1 tons and some 3/4 tons. After the Super Duties though, most of the trucks have D50's and their 8 lug pattern changed to some pattern that only they use. Why? Because they are Ford and you don't want a Ford to be easy to work on./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif These are the hot axles for GM IFS trucks so that they don't have to change out their stock transfer case, unless they have the Auto Track system where changing out the transfer case is just a good thing to do./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

WAIT, suddenly I remember something about Dodge changing the side of their front axle diffs too. Hmmmmmm................

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Yeah Ford only, his question was hard to understand, he needs a driver side drop(ford) to fit in a IFS truck.

6. no i want a passenger side drop cus i got the 208 in my truck. i guess it would just be easier to just use an older gm d 60... well once my current front axle breaks, ill upgrade /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I know chevy never made a high pinion, and I don't think dodge did either...
    Regular pinion is all you get,LOL.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't fear, there is a high pinion D60 available for the passenger side!

Simply give Dynatrac a call and they will custom build you one. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Got any pics of your rig?

10. ya ii wasnt planning on spending 4-6k on a front axle, it just be better and cheap to get dual cv's,
    and beast, i have some pictures at this site-http://community.webshots.com/user/96chevysfa

11. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Nice Taho! That thing is sweet, but you need a new camera man.

Ryan

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

How do you like the Dirt Grips? I've never actually seen anyone using them.

13. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

I have heard of people disassembling the Ford RR HP D60 and making passenger side drops on re-assembly.