Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where can I get 14 blt spring plates???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Sep 3, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I have looked at most all the parts yards around and they all take the axles off the vehicles to sell them. I guess they get rid of the spring plates. I called the dealed and they were no help. Oh and U blots.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used a dremel to open the holes a little on my half ton plates...works fine and they've been like that for 5 years. It doesn't take much, 1/8" on each hole outwards and they should slip right through.

U-bolts can be had at any spring and suspension shop near you. The 14 bolt has a 3.375" tube diameter...length is whatever you tell them to make it.

rene

4. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Offroad sells them but it gets a little pricy (they said they were a small place and no discount to K5 members). The local truck shop bent up ubolts for $35 (they can make any size you want). I cut 1/2 ton plates down the center and welded a flat bar spacer in.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

post a WTB post here on ck5, thats what I did. Alternatively you could make some, they are just a plate o steel with holes for the u bolts and a hole for the spring center pin. pretty simple. If you wanted to go the later route I could measure mine for ya...

J

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you dont find any I am making some for a friend tomorrow. Let me know and I can make two sets. $20.00 for the pair plus shipping.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd be interested in some of those. What is the material and constuction method? I like my junk hideously overbuilt /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Look for the smaller junkyards. I got my 3/4 ton plates (to flip those ridiculous 1 ton "nut on the bottom" plates) at a local u-pull-it. IIRC the pair (no rust other than surface, no dings, clean threads) with u-bolts cost about $5...

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I make them out of 1/2" Plate with the holes you need and the edges eased on them