Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can I get a 6.2 Diesel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pitbulls'n'blazers, Jan 18, 2006.

1. pitbulls'n'blazers

pitbulls'n'blazers Registered Member

Does any one know where I could find a 6.2 diesel and parts? How about a junk yard?

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have one... but youre a little far away

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

were it me, i'd steer clear of a junk yard motor, unless you can see that it runs before you pick it up. you never know what you might end up with. at least if you can see it running you know that there's enough good things going on in the motor to have it running. i'd say just check the local ads and internet listings.

4. pitbulls'n'blazers

Ya thats true,if I don't see it run it would be my luck if the crank just drops right out. :haha: I'll check out the paper and look around for a good 6.2. I'm lookin' to swap my 350 for a 6.2.It will be my first engine swap,so I might need some help later on. :wink1:

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I would look for a 2wd donor truck. They are out there. You could always swap the 350 back into it and then sell it, regain some money:D

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that's a good idea. i was going to suggest picking up a whole truck - definitely easier to find, and, in those situations which ive been around, about the same cost. picked up my 6.2 blazer for $500, my buddies 6.2 blazer for $600, and a second motor to swap into my buddies truck for $400. If you get the whole truck w/ a tranny you like, you won't have to worry about dealing with converting your tranny to run the diesel, which is really no more than getting the proper tconverter - but how often do you see just a tconverter for sale? ofcourse, you would have to pick up a 4wd vehicle to make the tranny swap easily doable. on top of that, since diesel brake systems are different, if you had a whole truck, you'd have the whole brake system to swap over into your truck - which might be a paint to fab up yourself otherwise (don't know how hard it would be - never done it). plus you end up with the proper radiator and exhaust . . . need i go on? get a whole truck. then, like said above, put your 350 and tranny back into that one and sell it to make some cash back. ;)

7. klurejr

klurejr Registered Member

if you guys know anyone looking to trade a 6.2 complete truck... send them my direction.. thanks.:rolleyes:

8. pitbulls'n'blazers

Great idea about the whole truck,thats what I will try to do. Thanks for the help.:laugh:

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I suggest the whole truck too...

Many times they're advertised as 'won't start' :D Those are the best ones... unless there's extra holes on the block or oil pan :doah:

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

That way you'll get all the little loose ends too.:wink1: