Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where can i get a black lab?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by unick, Jun 1, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Anyone know a place in socal that I can get a black lab pup?

lmk
    Nick

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

black labs'R'us , it's right between the scotch tape store and the argyle sock store in the mall... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

cool thanx smartass /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Try the rescue society. They usually make you pay a small fee for shots, registration, licensing, spay/neuter, but most of the time the dogs are purebred and need a good home. One of the best dogs I ever had was a female choc. lab that we got from the rescue society. I really miss her. Head to your local petco and find out if there is a local "Lab Rescue Society" They shoul dbe able to give you most of the details. If you want a pup, PM me. I can help you find reputable breeders in your area. If you are willing to pay to have a pup shipped, or are willing to drive up, I can set you up with several local area breeders that are top notch.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Maybe HERE.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Find a good breeder. There has been so much in-breeding with labs ya gotta do your research or you'll end up with an un-healthy pup. They are quickly developing the hip problems that German Shepard and Danes are known for. You don't want to have to put your pup down in a few years because he can't walk anymore. My brother-in-law had to put down his 3 year old dane. The dog developed hip problems at 1 year and was on steroid shots for 2 years. Even with the steriods, he could barely hold his rear up for more than 5 minutes. It was sad.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There has been so much in-breeding with labs ya gotta do your research or you'll end up with an un-healthy pup

[/ QUOTE ]
    How true! If you can, check the lineage of the sire and dam. Make sure it is NOT a mother/grandmother to son/grandson breeding. If it is, chances are the pups have mental and physical problems. Father/grandfather to daughter/grand daughter breeding is OK as long as both are healthy with no defects (eyes and hips are most common problem areas with Labs). Also, find out if the breeder skipped a heat in between litters. If the mom is bred back to back numerous times, if can have an affect on the pups health. The breeder should ALWAYS skip a heat cycle on the dam. Do A LOT OF RESEARCH into the breeder and the lineage of the pups. Also, take a long hard look at the breeder, if they look like people you wouldn't want to hang around, then chances are you don't want their dogs.

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

my last lab was like that but I think its because he got hit by a car when he was about 2. Ive found some good breeders here in socal but $600 is too much so spend when you are trying to save up for 1 ton gear. Im looking to spen 3-400.

nick

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Im looking to spen 3-400.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple questions...
    1. Do you intend to breed it?
    2. If you could get a purebred for $100 or less but it had no papers, would you consider it?

The reason I ask is because many of the dogs that come from the rescue society are pure bred, but they will not furnish papers for them. Also, any dog that comes from them is spayed/neutered...period. You should check that option out. Many times the dog has had obedience training and is house trained. I highly encourage you to check it out. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Im not looking to breed it. Just want a dog. Ive looked into alot of the rescure programs around here and all they have is older dogs. I know they are alot cheaper but I want to raise it from a pup. They are the most fun then.

Nick