Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where Can i get a high amp alternator?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 82Jimmy, Jun 30, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am going to be pushing 4000 watts and I am afraid that my poor stock alternator wont be able to keep up. Anyone have any idea where to get one?

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

4000 watts? Are you sure? Is that max power or RMS? You're going to have to worry about more than just the alternator with that kind of juice. What kind of amps are you going to use? For a start, try these websites:
    www.wranglernw.com
    www.powermastermotorsports.com
    www.mechman.com

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

RMS. I will have 10 12's and that 4000watts isn't including my highs and midrange....i know i will have to have a few batteries in the back....

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

5. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i haven't gone through with buying the subs yet...don't have that money yet. I am currently saving for a 6-12in lift (haven't decided the size.) so after i get the batteries and amp I can buy the subs.

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey, you can buy an Amptech alternator. We have tried many other brands at work, Autotronix Sound and Security, and have found these to be the most reliable. You can call me at the shop 972-721-9605 and i will check on a price for you if you wish. I can tell you this, I installed one in a 2000 Honda Civic that we are doing 12 12's in and it was about $600.00 that included the pulley, the external regulator and the alt. Give me a call or an email if you are seriouse and i will give you a price. You will just have to remind me. Thanx and good luck

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

7. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Check Auto Parts stores too. I got one that is like 90 something and they had a couple more with higher output. Wouldn't cost more than say $100 for like 120 or 130 amps...

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

8. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How many amps can it crank?

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

the deal is how many amps at an idle??? Dude if you you are really serious about putting that much power, time, money etc.etc into your stereo system then buying an alternator at the "parts store" is not going to cut the mustard. Why bother to do something if you cant do it the right way. To push all those subd you will HAVE to have a quality high output alternator that has a high output at idle speed as well as running.The more voltrage you put in the more you get out.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

10. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

With that kind of power you are going to need a hi output alt, and also some stiffening caps. They are pretty easy to get and allow for the big bass hits without lights dimming etc.... youll probably want new batts, get optimas, you can mount em anywhere. good luck on the system... ill probably be able to hear you from here.

11. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My lights flicker with 400watts...i need some stiffening caps. I think my setup is going to be earthquake magma 12's.

12. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Dblazer- I know that, I found a high cranking amp that does 80 at idle...any higher than that? I will have to have extra batteries as well.

13. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

absolutley. The one we installed recently was 140 amps at idle 200 at peak. Stiffening caps wont do you much good if you are listening to biggbass music, ie rap. A cap will help when it has time to recharge, it only gives you an instant pop when needed, it makes rock punchier and bass tighter, noe that is not to say that it is a bad idea they are always good to have, but they are not magic power replacers. If you dont haveenough power to drive your headlights wich only pull what 15 20 amps MAX. then you sure dont have enough power to drive a power hungry amp.
    I have three optimas in my rig now all new yellow tops, my lights dont dim and i have not changed the alt. of course i only am doing 4 10's not 12 12's or whatever. if i was i would absolutly get the biggest baddast alt that i couldfind. power = loud