Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can I get a performance in-tank fuel pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shawn, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'm dropping the fuel tank soon for Offroad Design's flip kit and while I'm there, I would like to replace the stock in-tank fuel pump with a high performance unit. The pump has to keep up with my new Holley Multi-port injection system that sits on top of a 454. I've heard Warlbro is a company that might make one but I can't seem to find any info on them. I tried Jegs and Summit with no luck. I know I can get electric external pumps but I'd like to keep it in the tank. Thanks in advance.

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

2. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I'd check all the highperformance car markets. They usually run Mechinical pumps, but you may find a high volume/pressure in tank pump. The other problem may be it may only be setup for a fuel cell.

Oh, you don't HAVE to drop the tank for ORD's kit... check out my site about my flip.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Borg Warner P36
    You can get it at PepBoys 70 to 90 bucks
    I use this on my TPI motor output is 50 to 60lbs.

350 Vortec TPI D60 14Bolt 4"lift 35 BFG A/T

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i tihnk i read somewhere that you should use an inline pump for efi comversions, because sometimes the in-tank pumps are finnickey about the fuel sloshong away when you take corners with a low fuel level. They said that even though the pump still had fuel, that it sometimes thinks it's running out and then stalls the car by itself. I cant really back this up with first hand experience, and you probably know what you are looking for (since you actually have the efi system, but i just remembered reading this somewhere. Might be worth checking into.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

6. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Might want to check with JEG's. I know that have a wide varity of electric fuel pumps for high performance applications.

7. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Shawn,
    Jegs new catalog, page 66 Granatelli motorsports in-tank fuel pumps, says it will fit factory hanger. Part # 467-GM255LP It says that this pump can handle motors with 575hp

somebody mentioned, that you will have lack fuel on when you turn. I have the factory IROC in tank fuel pump in mine and when it is about 1/4 or less and I turn Right it will cut out, but not die. Just don't let it get down that far.

Good Luck
    Michael

8. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

I like the AC Delco pump that is used in TPI 350's in Corvettes, Camaros and Firebirds. This pump is available for less than $50 with a lifetime warrenty (Autozone) and puts out between 35-45 psi.

Shawn, what does Holley call for in this application. I wouldn't be surprized if their part number was the same as the one I am talking about. Turbo City offers a "high performance TBI" pump that seems to be this same part number as well.

This pump is an intank pump (beleive me electric pumps last much longer when they are in the tank because the gasoline acts to cool them) and will retrofit in place of the stock pump on any TBI equiped trucks. They actuall look identical, they are only different on the inside.

Hope this is helpful, but if in doubt, go with what Holley recomends to be safe.

David 1989K5

9. Shawn

Thanks for all the help guys! Gave me some good places to check out. I'm not sure why the last rep at Jegs I talked to said they don't carry anything. Oh well. I did manage to find a Walbro dealer at this site.
    http://members.home.com/syclone/APE/
    The Walbro puts out 255 ltr/hr which sounds like the pump similar to what Jegs has and has the same HP rating. The price from the APE is $93 and I will call Jegs and find out what their cost is. I'd like to know what the flow rating is on the Borg Warner unit but I doubt Autozone will know. Thanks again!

Shawn
    www.off-road.com

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Holley has some, with flow specs, northern is a Holley dealer they may stock them.
    Good luck
    P.S. let us know what you get when you get it.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Someone mentioned the cooling effect for an in-tank pump...
    Had to replace the pump on my 86 Trans Am 5.0 way back when I had it. The pump motor seized. The mechanic that changed it said it was good advice to never let a fuel-injected GM product get below 1/4 tank. At that point, the pump motor is no longer submerged in fuel and overheats, slowly killing it. I didn't really pay much attention to this until 3 weeks later when the pump in my dad's Olds Cutlass did the SAME THING! That made a believer out of me.

That's my 2 cents...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey guys, does anybody know if I can install an in-tank fuel pump and hanger in my existing '78 fuel tank. I am going to TBI and need return lines at the tank, plus a fuel pump. I have the factory wiring going back to the tank. I would like to keep this simple. Also, would a Fram Canister type Fuel filter for drag cars flow enough fuel for a TBI? The reason I ask, the canister may hold enough fuel to keep the TBI from starving around corners at low fuel level. Would the autozone pump flow enough fuel for my stock 400 with TBI? Could someone post a part number for the AutoZone pump?

Hey Shawn, if you get a new pump would you sell me your old pump and hanger? I need something to get my beast started again...

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

13. Shawn

I compared the Jegs unit with the APE fuel pump. They are the exact same (both are Walbro) but Jegs is higher in price. I don't think the canister would help since the TBI depends on fuel pressure. If it's not getting fuel, it won't be able to push it through the line. I'll give you my old pump but not the hanger. All pumps sold do not include the hanger.

Shawn
    www.off-road.com

14. Mudzer

DUH??????

I didn't think about that.... You may want to keep your old pump for a spare [​IMG]

1978/91 K5 Blazer

15. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I know you don't want an external pump but sure would be easier to fix next time.And also much much easier to fix out on the trail.

16. Shawn

Bigd-
    I currently have a external pump. It works great and I admit is easy to get to. It's on the outside of the frame (on the other side where the stock fuel filter is located) and is really exposed to water and large rocks. If I mount it on the inside of the frame, it's too close to the exhaust and might get too hot. I could mount it closer and higher next to the tank but I don't want to hack up the steel/steel braided lines that come factory. I will be carrying a spare external with me just in case the in tank unit fails on the trail.

Shawn
    www.off-road.com

17. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Yea never thought of that.Once heard of someone making a access panel over the tank sending unit in the floor.Guess that would help with having to change the pump.I put a ord shakle flip on but didn't drop the tank all the way.regret not dropping all way it was a serios pain in the butt grinding the rivets.Torching would have been much faster.

18. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Did you get the shackle flip on? You can Torch or Plasma cut the rivits out. My buddy uses a heat sheild for a catalytic converter. You know the heat shield that GM uses to isulate the the cab from the Cat. Slide it up inside the frame and put water on the shield every so often.. They use that method when Welding custom exhuast around gas tanks.

Just a suggestion.

Good Luck
    Michael

19. Shawn

The access panel sounds like a good idea. I may just do that. The rivets are a PAIN IN THE A**! Even after I grind the heads off, they still don't come out that easy. I only finished 1 side since my family was over. I need a torch badly!

JMPD-
    Good idea on the cat. con. heat shield!

Shawn
    www.off-road.com

20. Mudzer

Shawn, answer this one for me....

Shawn,

What brand and part number is the external pump you have? I may just go that route instead of new hanger and in-tank pump. If you do not want your in-tank pump, I would buy it. Send me an email about it if you want. I am still deciding if i want in-tank or external. I need a good stock pump that will supply around 10 psi to the TBI unit. I can use the stock return line as my TBI return. I also am wondering about a resivoir for the fuel system. The "Chevrolet TPI & TBI Engine Swapping" book that I purchased, said I will need a resivior because my stock tank is not baffled like a fuel injection tank is made. On corners when the fuel is low (most of the time with todays gas prices [​IMG])the pump will starve for fuel and the motor will hesitate. They recommend building a canister with 4 ports which holds about 1/2 cup of fuel. They recommend a low pressure pump on the tank side of this resivoir, then the high pressure 10 psi pump on the Throttle Body side of the resivoir. I can have my resivoir made out of stainless steel. Do you think I need this or what? Ideally, I should just look for a wrecked Blazer with TBI and buy the tank. Not sure if this is feasable.

1978/91 K5 Blazer