Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can I get axleshafts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Beast, Sep 10, 2002.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I just broke my second D70 Dually axleshaft. It is 1.5" diameter, has 35 splines, and measures 35 1/2" long. I have exausted my local source of the axleshafts. Does anyone know where I can find some? I'm trying to stay away from high dollar options such as custom chromemoly jobs. I prefer used parts, but if new can be had at a reasonable price, I would like to know. Thanks in advance.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I want to ride with you sometime /forums/images/icons/smile.gif thats some serious pounding your giving it to be snapping those axles.
    Check with Fourlane auto parts in Taylorsville (West of Cartersville). 770 386 0444. Keith is the owner and usualy he answers or his wife. They specialize in 4x4's and he has cut me a few good deals in the past on stuff.
    Cagle Auto parts is practicaly accross the street 770 382 0199 He has quite a collection of axles. He also had a few K5's and GM trucks. Good place for usable doors and stuff.

Griffin Truck salvage is a few miles down the road closer to Rockmart. 770 684 8992 (Don't mention Four lane of Keith to him. It's his dad and last I heard they were still fighting) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're snapping those axles, you NEED chromo shafts! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Check with the folks at www.moserengineering.com . They have pretty decent prices on custom axle shafts. Replace 'em with the good stuff once and be done with it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif But unlike Grim, I think I just want to watch, not ride! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

or give Johnny Hulsey truck parts a call at 770-531-9200 there up in Gainsville and all they have are truck parts.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim and everyone esle for the replies. I am at the point now where I wish I could just replace the axleshaft. Apparently, when it exploded inside of the spindle, it cased the spindle to expand inside of the spindle nut. There is now way to get the spindle nut off short of a "blue wrench" (torch). Now I'm facing replacing the entire rear axle. I'm thinking about a 14FF because of parts availability and how cheap a Detriot is. The dilemma that I now face it whether to find a 14FF with 4.10's or to buy a cheaper one with either busted or less desireable gears to upgrade to 5.13's and a Detroit. The big money part comes in with upgrading the front to 5.13's and a D60 Detroit at the same time. I guess if I can afford it in any possible way, that's what I'll do. If I can't, I'll just put a 14FF in (with disc brakes and a Detriot..I can always put the Detroit in a 4.56 & lower carrier later), warranty my front Lockright and continue to ride my 7000lb truck around 4.10's. Anyhow, I really appreciate the suggestions and "compliments". PS...I broke the first axleshaft trying to burn the tires in my driveway. The second let go when I drove the Beast to school. I was pulling out of a parking lot just a few mins before my 9:30 lab and I heard "POW!!" It was really loud, way louder than busting a 205 Tcase. Until I realized that the familiar "chirp chirp" of tight corners was not there, I didn't know what had happened.