Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can I get NEW diff cover bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I want brand new diff cover bolts (for my sexy Dana 60) and I dont wanna use standard bolts because diff cover bolts have that molded washer in them. I would like some Grade 8 ones but if I cant get them then just new ones would work. Thanks a lot.
    -fLeXy K20

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

These kinds of bolts can be found in standard zinc plated and stainless steel (that's what I'd get) from most any hardware store. ACE is the place.

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Even with the molded washer in them? Hmm Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK first off, diff cover bolts only take like 10 lbs of torque or so, there is absolutely no reason to put grade 8s in there. Second, if you just clean up your stock diff bolts they look real nice. Get yourself a wire wheel for your bench grinder and take off the original factory coating, then shoot some clearcoat on the heads. They look real nice after that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you want to get something cool like 12 points or socket head bolts, then check out www.mcmaster.com. They have lots of different stuff to choose from.</font>

5. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

No I want grade 8's or stainless steel so they dont rust, not for the strength factor. I thought about cleaning up the stock ones; but if you saw them you would know why I didn't. Later
    -fLeXy K20

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Even with the molded washer in them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, but you won't find them in the standard pull-out bins - they'll be in a "special" box. The ACE I work at gets all of their fasteners from Hillman . As far as I know, that's the company all ACE's use, but I'm not positive on that.
    Bolts will look something like:
    [​IMG] minus the fact that these ones are metric. Expect to pay (for stainless) around $1.20/bolt (my best guesstimate anyway).

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> McMaster part number 92323A552 is a zinc plated grade 5 serrated flange bolt, that shouldn't rust and there's enough to do the front and rear diffs in the pack. I don't remember exactly what size the D60 takes, if it's 3/8 like the 14 bolt then a pack of 25 is $8.26.

[​IMG] </font>

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Those will rust eventually, they'll look good in the beginning but in time look exactly like every other bolt on your truck. You could maybe spray a clearcoat over the heads, that may work.