Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can I get some good clamps for a Mag Light?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MT ZION, Oct 16, 2002.

1. MT ZION

MT ZION Registered Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has mounted the largest size Mag Light they make under the glove box? If so, what did you use to mount it with? If you didn't mod something on your own where can I purchase some decent mounting clamps?

Thanks,

MT ZION /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

i have seen some at lowe's or maybe home depot.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Places like GI Joes or Home Depot have the Mag-Lite brand............plastic snap in types. Decent but not the best.............I got some rubber ones from Snap On years ago that I've been using for over 10 years that hold that 4 'D-cell' flashlight on my drivers door.............excellent quality. Not sure on a name brand but it wasn't Blue Point or Snap On, it was another manufacturer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the straps i have are made by mag lite..i got them at orchard supply..i think they were right around 5 bucks for the pair...havent had any problems with me...have them mounted the the bottom of my driver side seat frame..never has popped off

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I have about six pounds of junk in my glovebox from disposable cameras, to maps, to quarters. My glovebox already droops and if I were to put a 5 D-cell maglite there I think my dash would fall down. I recommend putting it behidn the seat or under the seat. I have a 5 D-cell one that I have laying behind my seat. It has no practical application except to beat people over the head with and wander around in the woods with. I like 2 D-cell ones much better.

I just uploaded some old pictures.

From my closet downstairs next to the kitchen:
    http://www.wrath.com/images/magliteandextinguisher.jpg

Maglite makes some clips that are more than strong enough to hold their biggest flashlight. They do get brittle with age. They only last about 4-5 years. And they start getting brittle around 15°. The only places I've ever been able to find them is Meijer (a Michigan privately owned chain of stores) and Gander Mountain. $5 at Meijer.
    Now I'd like a source for inexpensive 2 D maglites. I want a couple for my truck and a new one for my barn. They usually go on sale for ~$17 here. I remember when I bought my first 3 D-cell one for $12 five years ago.
    [​IMG]

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I have the Mag Lite brand clips in my truck and they work fine for my uses. They are not as durable as the metal clamps I have seen, however they do not scratch the heck out of the light either. I purchased mine at True Value.

They fit my 3D and 4D Mags perfectly and I mounted them on the rear of my center console.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I just bought 5 sets of the mag-lite clamps. Part number on their web page and they ship right out. Mag-lite

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont know if you have walmarts, target or meijers out there but most general department stores carry Mag lights and accesories. I mounted mine to the floor on the drivers side of the 4wheel drive shifter (I then climbed under the truck and painted the screws on the bottom to keep them from rusting as fast). I can't find a pic right now I'm at work. Send me a PM if you want a pic! Later, J /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif .... Found one its not a good one but you get the idea. Mines a 5D cell I put a mount even with the top and bottom of the shifter trim plate then over slightly. Clip your clips on the light then slide them around till you get them in a place where you can mount them mark it with masking tape, pull the clips off then mount up! Good luck
    [​IMG]

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Follow up on pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]