Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can I get the tool to get the fasteners out to remove my hardtop?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Jul 15, 2002.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I called the dealer, and of course they have know idea! (useless /forums/images/icons/mad.gif ) My other blazer just used regular bolts. My '89 Jimmy uses what looks like a torx fastener with a stud in the center. So the tool is essentially a torx bit with the center drilled out. Anyone have this setup and know where I can get the tool? -Thanks!

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Any decent hardware store should have the special torx bits. Got mine from ace hardware. I wouldn't suggest using an electric drill with the bit to make it faster, i snapped 3 bits using a drill /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif You might want to replace those stupid bolts with regular hex head bolts. Makes taking the top off super easy now!

3. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

I believe these are called E-torx made by either Snap-On or Mac tools. Good luck.

Steve

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Cool!! Thanks a lot!

5. ok91blazer

ok91blazer Registered Member

yea, i got mine at napa, i got them called tamperprof bit.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

TIP: Don't put those POS bolts back in! In fact you don't even have to put all the bolts back. I just use 4-6 bolts for the whole thing, with no leaks or problems of any kind.....

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a feeling that not tying thewhole thing done sturdily reduces the structural integrity of the truck and canopy, and you *might* be more likely to have the top seperate at the seams.

If you don't know which seams to look at, you may not notice its even separating, but if the truck flexes (which they do, a lot) it makes sense that the top as part of the body, if only "loosely" tied down, will have more stress placed on its joints, instead of the fastening points.

I never noticed that the tops do seperate at the seams, but now that I know where to look, almost all I see have at least started.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Good point, doesn't really matter now since I only put the top on for a couple of weeks during the winter, but it worked the other way for two years, yet I never did any 'wheelin with the top on, so it never saw any extreme flex.......

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Get the bolts for an '87, they are regular hex head and chromed /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

They are called Torx Security Bits most hardware stores should have them.