Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where can i get turn stops and why am I breaking them?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Apr 10, 2003.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Just got back from doing a little wheeling and noticed i broke the driver side steering stop and noticed also that there are wear marks on the axle u-joints themselves (obviously because they are turning too much. I am pretty postive i mounted the ram correctly but im guessing the ram is still pullin even though the "stop" has hit. is there a way to limit the ram????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I replaced my stops with G8 bolts. I have bent one, but not broken it. One of the guys out here runs stacked washers under his to take up the space. I'll probably be doing the same...

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I talked to brian waddel the other day and he said he drilled out that hole, and tapped it, to accept those honkin ass Torx seatbelt bolts.....

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I talked to brian waddel the other day and he said he drilled out that hole, and tapped it, to accept those honkin ass Torx seatbelt bolts.....

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just got back from doing a little wheeling and noticed i broke the driver side steering stop and noticed also that there are wear marks on the axle u-joints themselves (obviously because they are turning too much. I am pretty postive i mounted the ram correctly but im guessing the ram is still pullin even though the "stop" has hit. is there a way to limit the ram????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can put a spacer on the inside of the ram body to limit its travel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

When I broke one, I drilled the hole out and used a 3/8" ARP bolt. I just ran the bolt thru from the back and put on a GR.8 nut and some red locktite, then cut it to legnth (measuring the other side) and it has been working fine. I know that's not what you asked, just wanted to give you an option.

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

On farm equipment it is common to use large aluminum washer type things to limit the stroke on the hydraulic ram used to raise and lower the tires. This determines how far the implement goes into the ground. I would think you could find or fabricate something to limit the travel on your ram.

The spacers are basically two half moon clips of aluminum with a spring steel retainer on the horizontal axis. Kinda like a c-clamp.