Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where did 4X4 go?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Yohinan, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Maybe some one can point me in the right direction. I was going down a trail to get to a MX track and put my 95 1500 Sub into 4 Hi just to make sure I didnt have a chance of getting stuck. Got to where I wanted and parked without ever taking out of 4 Hi. After riding for a while we all decide to leave. On my way out I notice my gear selector is still in 4 Hi but my lights that indicate I am in 4 Hi are no longer on. So I just put the selector back in 2 Hi and go on my way. When I got some free time a few days later I decide to try and see what the problem is. Although everything seems to go right I cant get the Sub into any type of 4 wheel drive anymore even though I put the selector into the 4 Hi and 4 Lo modes. No lights come on and I verify that I am not in any type of 4X4 by doing turns on some pavement. So I get out and notice when I am in 2 Hi the front driveshaft does not spin when I am moving. So I say good and move on to the next part. Put back into 4 Hi and creep forward. Obviously the transfer case is working because now the front driveshaft is spinning but I still never make it into 4 Hi. So all you expert 4 X gurus have any ideas? Are my gears inside my front diff shot or could it possibly be something else? If you need any more info please let me know and I will be sure to get it to you. Thanks for the help. John

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It could be the thermal actuator (highest probability), or you could have a problem internal to the differential. Do you have a service manual for it?

You can remove the actuator and try to engage the front axle by inserting the appropriate diameter tool into the orfice and see if the axle engages.

3. 72 SAC

72 SAC Registered Member

I had that same problem with my 94 chevy pick-up. I found out that if I replaced the front end actuator in the front axel it worked great. They coast about 90 bucks. If thats to much for you try the junk yard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

I will give the actuator a try. I actually read about a TSB that dealt with this and called for an upgraded part. Thanks for the help. John