Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHERE DID THIS DANA 60 COME FROM

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FLASHLIGHT76, Jul 24, 2002.

1. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I JUST AQUIRED A DANA 60 REAR WITH A LOCKER AND 4:10''S FOR MY SUB. THE OWNER THINKS IT CAME OUT OF A CHEV LATE 70'S. THE SPRING PERCHES ARE VERY NARROW BUT ARE THE RIGHT SPACE APART FOR MY TRUCK. IT IS A 8 LUG PATTERN AND FITS MY TIRES. THE SHOCK MOUNTS BOTH FACE FORWARD AND THE DRUMS HAVE TWO SCREWS HOLDING THEM ON. UNFORTUNATELY THE RIGHT SIDE IS MISSING ALL THE BRAKE COMPONETS SO I KIND OF NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO ASK THE PARTS GUY FOR. ANY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, OR EVEN POSSIBLEY INEXPENSIVE DISC CONVERSIONS? HELP!!!!!

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

My genuine '77 Chevy service manual list the Dana 60 so it was used in something that year. This is in the rear axle section of the manual.

3. FLASHLIGHT76

ARE THERE ANY IDENTIFYING MARKINGS THAT I CAN LOOK FOR?

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Since both shocks face forward it may have come out of a '71- '72 truck.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it came out of a 68-72 era truck the perches would be wrong for a 73-87 gen Suburban.

4.10's and a traction aid sounds like a pretty common Ford rear end. I have no clue if the perch width was similar to Chev though.

Rene

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Is this a semi floater or full floater axle? If it's a semi floater I would think tRustyK5 is right about it being a Ford axle. You need to clean it real good and find the Build of Material number on it (I think it's on the rear of the pass. side tube), this number tells everything about the axle (application, year, gear ratio, etc). There is a Dana site where you can decode this number but I don't know it, MJ knows it - maybe you'll get lucky and he'll see this thread.

Good luck.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with tRusty, sounds like its from the '67 to '72 era and if its not a GM axle, it sounds like the Ford axle because all Fords have the rear shocks on the forward part of the housing. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the removeable drums sound like a ford too,
    didnt they set theirs up so you didnt have to pull the shafts to do brakes.

http://www2.dana.com/expert/

the weird part is I was just typing your name into a reply then came here to see you were typing mine /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Yeah, I think it's the Ford 10.25 rear axle that the drums slip off of without having to pull the axles, not really sure.

By the way, great minds think alike! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

That sounds alot like the rear Dana 60 that I pulled from a 67 GMC C20. The drums come off by removing 2 countersunk screws.....without pulling the axles. Both shock mounts point forward. The 2wd Dana 60's of the 67-72 era have a spring pad spacing of 42.5" The 4wd's spacing is 40". My axles has 30 spline 1.3125 diameter axles. Hope that helps. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The 2wd Dana 60's of the 67-72 era have a spring pad spacing of 42.5" The 4wd's spacing is 40". My axles has 30 spline 1.3125 diameter axles.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That also applies to 63-66 GMC's also (but Chevy was a different deal altogether!).

12. FLASHLIGHT76

WELL TO ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS. IT IS A FULL FLOAT DESIGN, YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE SHAFTS TO GET THE DRUMS OFF AND THE STUDS ARE A SMALLER THREAD SIZE THEN MY CHEVS. IT'S STARTING TO SOUND LIKE A FORD TO ME BUT I JUST WANT TO BE SURE. THANKS /forums/images/icons/grin.gif