Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where did this hose connection come from? driving me crazy.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LoggieStyle, Jul 15, 2003.

1. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

Hi,
    I just retroffitted a '99 fuel pump into an 87 tank so I could have the fuel baffles and still have a tank with a stock fit under the blazer. Now I am trying to figure out how to plumb the lines to the engine. I looked in the helm manual for the suburban that the engine came out of but it's confusing me, perhaps you guys can help me make heads and tails of it.

These pictures are out of the helm manual intstructions on how to install the fuel tank. They are a little blurry because I had to enlarge them with photoshop to see the hose connections. I also added the lines and numbers so you would know where to look.

First picture is of the fuel pump and it has 3 hose connections. The second picture is the top of the fuel pump installed in the tank, it now has 4 hose connections. Where did the fourth connection come from? Is there something different about the newer tanks and maybe that connection is coming from somewhere else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Logan

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Top pic.:
    You'll have a fuel feed to eng.,a return line from eng. and a vent.to a charcoal canister or some kind of purge valve near throttle body.

My guess on the 2nd pic:
    The 4th line is prob. another vent from the tank to maybe the filler tube.Or a tank vent to some sort of emmisions.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Actually now that I look at the 2nd pic. again.

You'll have the three line's in the 1st pic. and then that 4th line you can see goes to the vent on the filler tube.
    That's what that round thing with the small and large tube connected to it is.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How did you have to modify the sender to fit? Your gas gauge going to work correctly in the truck?

5. LoggieStyle

To be honest I don't plan on any of the gauges working at first, I just want to get the thing running. After that I will try to get the gauges working. I am a rookie at this so I am just trying to worry about one thing at a time and learn as I go.

6. LoggieStyle

but where is the line that goes to the vent on the filler neck coming from? it's not the pump because there are only 3 connections on my pump feed/return/vapor . It's like the drawings are of two different pumps. Maybe Helm messed up and used the wrong picture but I am more apt to believe that it is my own error and I have missed something.

Thanks,

Logan

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My 1987 K5 pump sending unbit has 4 connections:

-one for the feed line to TB
    -One for the return linefrom the TB
    -One vent line to the vapor canister
    -One vent ot the filler neck...

If the newer one doesn't have a vent to the filler neck, why worry about it..?

Chris

8. LoggieStyle

I just didn't know if it would cause any problems without the vent hose. I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff so i figured I would ask more experienced people before I forgot about it.

Logan

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

You definitely need a vent tube for the filler neck.If not you will preassurize the tank when filling it and you'll end up with gas being spit back at you.

The filler neck(where you put the gas)has one large hose going from the filler neck to the tank.A smaller vent hose will run beside it and connect to the tank(either on the side,top or sender assembly)That's the 4th line that is puzzling you.
    [​IMG]

10. LoggieStyle

That answers the question. I will just have to add another hole to the tank and make a connection for the vent hose.

Thanks much,

Logan