Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where did you mount your antanne?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Mar 28, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I got my CB and was wondering where people are mounting them. I was going to mount it back by the gas cap area, but I am worried a rock or brach will reach out and rip it off.

Presently, I am thinking right below the rear driver tail light on a spring mount w/ 4-5' antanne.

Any suggstions appreciated

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Got mine mounted to the top bracket of the tire carrier.It's only a 3' antenna but works for me.You can see a pic here,just look at the rear of the truck,it's a little hard to see.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p15c2acd724c88759b0d9370d62f3f807/fded6187.jpg>http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p15c2acd724c88759b0d9370d62f3f807/fded6187.jpg</a>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have to mount mine but I have everything to mount it on the driver side front fender. I have the bracket that goes between the fender and the hood.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

On the lady's 79 it's on the spare tire carrier. on my 75 it's sitting on the hood on the passengerside of the ridge. Better ground plane on sheet metal than if it's hanging off the side of the vehicle.

5. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

I have mine mounted on the top mount for the tire carrier that isn't there any more 10 ft whip...:)

Eat More Mud!!!!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have/had 4' whips on each mirror. I'm going to mount a single whip off the tire carrier so it won't get ripped off and mangled so much./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Mines on the roof. I smacked the base on the drive thru at Burger King so I have it removed in some of my pics w/ a cover on the base.

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Mine is on the side of my hood.... mount it to the truck because like Grim said on the sheet metal is the best and the higher up the better- is what the CB shop told me when I bought my CB from them....

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Got mine mounted right under the passenger side tail light. I got a 60" stainless steel whip on a spring mounted through a piece of 2x2x1/8" angle iron bolted to the body. If I get sick of it smacking the hard top I just stick it in the back window and it still gets great reception. Get an SWR meter from Radioshack for about $20 and tune your antenna, it makes a HUGE difference. I usually get stuck in the middle of the convoy on the highway cause my radio has the strongest Tx/Rx so I get to relay messages through the group. I ended up cutting 5 inches off my antenna and got it tuned to around 1.2 on channel 20.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

I mounted mine on the rain gutter above the passenger door.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

got mine on the side of the back bumper on the drivers side. mud knocks off the cable for it, and in high winds, it wobbles really bad and hits the truck making a lot of noise, otherwise i like it there

12. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

jcg, that sig is hilarious! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

13. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I use a mag mount assembly, which should be an indicator of how often I use my CB, with a cellular look-a-like antenna. It's also not a permanent fixture of my truck either (Velcro and cig plug). For my commonly used commercial rigs (VHF &amp; UHF), I use glass mounts on the forward top section of the rear side glass. I like the glass mounts because the element is easy to remove and there are no holes in my truck!

They do make glass mounts for CB band, but they are a bit lossy with a long whip. I've seen high power units (with illegal linears) melt glass. A good mounting location for one of these would be the top of the windshield on the passenger side, rather than the side glass, to minimize lateral stress; assuming you're not an "illegal" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.