Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where did you mount your gauges?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Mar 20, 2004.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

just wondering if i could see some pics of where you mounted your gauges on the dash, i have to get all after market gauges and i want to avoid theh ricer effect, so far i have tach, oil, water tem, and fuel presure. any tips would be great /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Haven't got any pics but on one of my old trucks I had a tach mounted on top to the right of the dash 'pod' area facing toward me with an oil warning lamp fixed to it and a set of 4 on a mounting plate fixed at the bottom of the dash facia below the ashtray area. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But these new A piller mounts look pretty cool but I don't think they do them for our trucks?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I just modified my 69's stock bezel like this.

[​IMG]

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Haven't got any pics but on one of my old trucks I had a tach mounted on top to the right of the dash 'pod' area facing toward me with an oil warning lamp fixed to it and a set of 4 on a mounting plate fixed at the bottom of the dash facia below the ashtray area. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But these new A piller mounts look pretty cool but I don't think they do them for our trucks?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been looking for those A piller pods for o long. and I havent found any of them for our trucks.

Nick

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice work fella!What make are those clocks and does the speedo work off the standard cable? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been looking for those A piller pods for o long. and I havent found any of them for our trucks.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Here ya go

link

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just modified my 69's stock bezel like this.

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that looks clean. That's what I am doing eventually. How hard was it? Is the black the original color? Looks really good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A little spendy but kool!Bling, Bling! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bill

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A little spendy but kool!Bling, Bling! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, bling bling is right!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Quick and easy. I used 2 5/8ths AutoGage mechanical gages, they are fairly cheap, fairly reliable and they are easy to find if I ever need a replacement. Oil, water, and a voltmeter. I used an additional water temp gage for my tranny temp. gage.

[​IMG]

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats something i should do..is take that dumb ass clock that dont even keep time out and put my tranny gauge in there instead of under the dash were u gatta look outa the way to see it lol..

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

how do you hook up a tranny temp guage
    and fuel pressure gauge, all those things

13. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

The gauges is used are AutoMeter's Phantom series. I bought the tach and speedo in 5" size. Te tach is electric but I had to go with the mechanical speedometer as I have a manual tranny. It will use the existing speedo cable.

I went with the smaller gauges in 2 5/8". I am using a quartz clock and then an electric temp guage, I believe there are only electric fuel guages so that is what mine is and then of course the voltmeter is electric. The fuel gauge can work with the stock sending unit.

The gauges are illuminated. They give two covers for the lights, can't recall what colors they are.

For the original tach hole I went with a 3 3/8" oil pressure gauage that is mechanical.

The gauges that require sending units, other than the fuel gauge, come with sending units.

The gauges come with attachment brackets that work very well if you are going to attach the guages with the bezels on the outside of your instrument panel. I'm not sure how people attach them when they install them totally behind there panel.

Here's a pic of the back side of the panel, mostly wired up.

The bezel originally had a silver/chrome ring around the sides and was black. I went ahead and went all black when I painted it. Really a pretty easy modification as long as you take it slow and don't like the grinder get away from you when enlarging the guage holes.

[​IMG]