Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where did you put your battery?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Looking for ideas for a battery relocation. The stock area is now gone and I can only think of three places:

1. Behind the seat. Easy to set up but could be in the way.

2. Behind the glove box. Really out of the way but a pain to service and hook jumper cables too.

3. Where the heater and AC box used to be. Right now, this is my favorite like on a FJ40 or something.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What about the center hump between the seats?

If a man had a wad of change, he could buy some of those mini batteries and have less placement problems.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

heaterbox is nice. My dad puts them there on all his circle track cars. Works nice, can use the box to make a hold down in some cases.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine is inside the frame rail behind the passenger seat.

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Why not move it all the way to the rear? Just inside the pass. side tailgate post? and run longer, heavier cable's to the starter. Build a box and lid out of 1/8" sheetmetal, bolt it to the floor.

More weight is off the front end, and on the rear end. Extra lead's out the rear, for jump starting, winch, whatever. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

mount it under your front passanger seat, HMMWV style. cut the floor and make your own custom "battery box" so that the bottom of the batt is a little above the bottom of the frame so it will fit under your seat no problem. Need to service it? flip up the seat!

j

7. Sandman

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not move it all the way to the rear? Just inside the pass. side tailgate post? and run longer, heavier cable's to the starter. Build a box and lid out of 1/8" sheetmetal, bolt it to the floor.

More weight is off the front end, and on the rear end. Extra lead's out the rear, for jump starting, winch, whatever. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have future plans to cut down and narrow the rear as well. Room will get tight back there with seats and relocated gas tanks. I think for now, I will look at putting it on the firewall. Maybe. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've found a good spot.... Stays clear of the front tire - even tho you'd think it wouldn't.

[​IMG]

Marv

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine on the hump behind the front seats. I recently took my two older kids along on a run, and it was out of their way. Just my .02! I liked the batt inside, away from the "elements."

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If you wanna put it in a box you can get a boat battery box there like $15

11. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

#3 mine is there now that i chopped the front

12. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i plan on moving bith mine right behind the cab, inside the frame rails, one on each side of the driveshaft.

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

This is my batt box. Goes right in between the rear buckets. Batteries are positioned the long way with the blazer and two buckets just fit. Box is complete with insulation, hold downs, herculiner and cup holders for the rear passengers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    mount it under your front passanger seat, HMMWV style. cut the floor and make your own custom "battery box" so that the bottom of the batt is a little above the bottom of the frame so it will fit under your seat no problem. Need to service it? flip up the seat!

j

[/ QUOTE ]
    I second the above or:
    The old CJ's had a hole just in front of the Pass. seat that could be made deaper and used for this as well. Also the 49-53 chevy pick-ups and panels had the battery mounted in this spot. A guy could actually use this design quite easily.

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

FWIW, when I moved mine to the back, I also ran 00 copper stranded cables to the firewall for “+”. There it attaches to the high amp CUCV distribution buss using 3/8 soldered lugs. All power ties together on the buss including starter, main harness, and alternator. There are no additional wires hooked to the battery itself. On the battery, I have wing nut marine terminals with soldered and sealed lugs on the cables, very easy to unhook as needed without tools. “-“ goes to the frame with 1ga. cable. The batt(s) sit on a box/tray made from 1" x 0.120 angle and some 1" x 0.120 cold roll strap and bolted to the lower frame channel.

16. Sandman

I like the idea of a distribution bus. Gives you an easy power source and you can put the battery anywhere. I'll have to look into that one. Thanks.