Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where did you put your tranny cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jan 19, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im thinkin about installing an aftermarket tranny cooler, and i need a good place to put it where it wont get caked with mud, etc. its a 97 yukon.

2. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I put mine in the most obvious place, in front of the AC condenser. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

You can mount it almost anywhere, and in any direction, but the efficiency goes down as you move away from direct airflow in the front of the truck.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

My factory trans cooler is over on the right (riders side) and the oil cooler is on the left (drivers side). Makes plumbing easier

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It needs to be right behind the grille with nothing blocking it for maximum effectiveness.

6. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I put mine in the most obvious place, in front of the AC condenser. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I used the AC condensor as my tranny cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    But to answer your question,,, I agree with most folks here- in front of the AC condensor, right behind the grill is bout the best and most convienent spot.

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

HA HA...in the trash can...Swapped to a stick..But really in front of the rad is the best place... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I got some rubber hose then ran it though the floor I stick the tranny cooler out the window while I am driving. But not before I give my valve covers a good 100 shot of NO first. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The front of your '97 Yukon should be fairly similar to our '94 Suburban. On the Sub I figured out that I could remove a couple of the screws that hold the side brackets onto the a/c condensor and then also use them to hold the left side of the tranny cooler in place. I had to drill one extra hole in the cooler bracket to line things up. Once I put the screws back in, the tranny cooler was being held very firmly, even though the other end wasn't supported. As much as I typically dislike the zip-tie-through-the-radiator mounts that come with most tranny coolers, using a couple of them on the other end of the cooler worked well in this case. The screws provide most of the holding power, while a couple of zip ties through the a/c condensor, with foam bumpers between it and the tranny cooler made for an extrememly rigid installation. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    HA HA...in the trash can...Swapped to a stick..But really in front of the rad is the best place... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Save it! I swapped mine over to the tow rig when I swapped the playtoy to an auto. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Mines in front of the radiator, next to the a/c condensor. Makes the most sense. Easy to plumb it up with the cooler in the radiator.