Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where did you tap your steering box for hydraulic assist?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Sep 4, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready for the next addition to my rig, hydraulic assist. I'm not sure where to drill and tap the box though since I'm running 44" TSL's on 7" of lift and I'm pretty sure the tires will contact the steering box from time to time. I don't want to take a chance of the lines being ripped off and losing all my power steering fluid. Has anybody had a problem with tire clearance with this type of setup?
    [​IMG]
    I'm really thinking of going this route though since it would be easier and from what I understand, adjustable?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got a spare box to play with so I COULD do both and see what works better but I'd much rather just do it once and be done with it. Thanks for your opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would use the top method and use close proximity fittings to get the lines real close to the box, that way the tires can hit the casting on the box and won't hit the lines.

3. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

believe me tap the fittings in the box( the first pis u posted) tapping teh top and end caps is a bad idea. when i did that the end cap got a hairline crack it after running it for two day and i was stuck pucking out fuild everywhere and had to drive home from 20 mins away with manual steering with 44s it sucked. the end caps are made out of a really cheezy aluminum which ge weekend when u drill it. the top peice is thicker so u could get away with that. that is what im still running and then i just tapped the box for the one line. but the best way is to do it like th e first pics or get an actual thicker end cap with the fittng welded in.

4. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

so howd it end up? im doing the same thing and just interested /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I did mine like in the top pic and with my axle in the stock location, I can see where something is barely touching. That pic is from Bowtie's site and if you look at this [​IMG] it would be better to have the top port in this location.

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

that's is actually a better location for the top port. if you've been to my site i have more pictures of the drill and tap. unfortunately the site that hosts my pictures is down at the moment. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

Why is that a better spot for drilling/tapping the box? Is it just because of the location for the line or is the vein larger and more accessable? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I still haven't drilled or tapped the box yet but I have the ram and hoses along with the 90* fittings to adapt 1/4" NPT to a 3/8" line. I still need to have someone make me my mounting tabs before I think about moving farther along with the project. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why is that a better spot for drilling/tapping the box? Is it just because of the location for the line or is the vein larger and more accessable? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I still haven't drilled or tapped the box yet but I have the ram and hoses along with the 90* fittings to adapt 1/4" NPT to a 3/8" line. I still need to have someone make me my mounting tabs before I think about moving farther along with the project. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

just for clearance issues. some with larger tires might come in contact with the hose when turned to the right and stuffed. that's all. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. TruckNutzDude

[​IMG]

I'm going to try this mod over the weekend. I'll be using these two locations unless someone can give me some dimensions on where to tap into the upper vein. I only have one spare pump and I'd hate to mess it up because I missed my mark. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I tapped mine like the pic you just posted. Hitting it was the easy part. The hard part is getting the tap started (because it isn't flat) and getting threads deep enough.

Buy 2 taps. Drill and tap both holes first. Then take one tap and grind off like 2 threads and put a slight chamfer on the end. Then tap the lower one as deep as you can. You will only be able to get like 3 threads deep.

11. TruckNutzDude

I did it last night. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif I used the picture above as a guid when I drilled my ports. I still need to go out and buy the second tap since I didn't want to ruin the one I already had by grinding it down. I think I need to get different fittings though. The ones I have are bent 90* and have a nut on the side to attatch the 3/8" hose. If I don't have clearance issues I think they will tuck in tighter than the hoses everyone else is using but I may not be able to get them in since they could hit the box... We'll see after I get the second tap. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Any advise on how to make mounting tabs for the ram? I don't have any 1" drill bits or 1" stock and I'm poor since I don't have a job (and haven't had one since September /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

12. MUDSTEADY

MUDSTEADY Newbie

How long of stroke rams are you guys using? Also bore size? Can I drill and tap without disassembling the box. Just fill the pump and and blow oil out the holes at start up to flush out the filings. I am qualified to take it apart but fast is always better.

13. TruckNutzDude

Wow, bringing this one back from the dead ey? I left my box assembled but I run a filter on the return side of the pump. I'm using a 2" diameter by 8" stroke ram with 3/8" x 36" long hoses down to a 1/4" NPT fitting at the box. I haven't done any modifications to my pump other than a filter and extending the fill tube with some radiator hose and the top from another pump. My steering is slow but it beats watching my frame sway back and forth trying to steer the 44" TSL's when I'm not rolling. I'm also running a weld on and bolt on steering brace and I do have cross over steering installed.

14. TruckNutzDude

I also run B&M trick shift transmission fluid in my pump. It worked well in my old 700R4 and it claims to have anti foaming agents in it. So far it's served me well but I'm still considering switching over to a synthetic ps fluid when I add a cooler to my system.

15. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This has gotta be the resurection of the year so far! lol.
    I stripped my box out just for peace of mind. They're not too hard to do if you're methodical and it gives you a chance to clean the whole box out and replace all the seals too.

16. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status