Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do I find....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bondo, Aug 5, 2000.

1. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I'm putting in my alarm system this weekend and I was wondering where the relays for the power door locks are located in a 1990 K5? Also, the truck does not have a tach but there should still be a wire on the distributor for it right? If so which one is it? If not where do I hook the wire instead?

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The connection for the tach is the loose unconnected wire coming out of the plug on the coil, not the dist. I think that the lock relays are contained within the lock motors themselvs, with the drivers side being the master control.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

All the tach connections that I have seen are on the top/side of the distibutor cap. There is a "B+" connection and one marked "Tach". It requires a .250" female spade connector that plugs up into cap. I haven't looked at a '90 model specifically, but that's the way all other HEI ingnitions are. The relays are mounted under the dash somewhere. I have had luck removing the power door lock fuse/circuit breaker and pressing the door lock button. The locks won't actuate, but the relays will click. That should make them easier to find. I can't remeber for sure if this works on GM products or not, but it's easy to try. Other than that, have someone push the button and look/listen for them.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. Logan

Logan Registered Member

In my '84, the power lock relay is almost directly above the gas pedal. I had to crawl in on my back to find it.

-Al.

5. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. Now does anyone know where the crank wire is for the starter? The one that actually cranks the starter? Even with both harnesses that come out of the steering column unplugged, the truck will still start. Makes no sense to me, but I was wondering if it was hidden somewhere.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Bondo, any GM I've worked on, with automatics, have a neutral safety switch on the column. When starting, power goes from the ignition switch through the safety switch to the starter solenoid. You can jumper out the safety switch if ya want to, should be fairly straghtforward after that. Email me if ya want a drawing of anything.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

7. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Thanks again!! I found everything I needed, still have to put the dash back together. Now I have a little problem. My passenger side window will not go up or down now. It doesn't matter which switch you use. I didn't touch the widow wiring, but would there be any wiring for them near the door lock relays or anything? Any other ideas? The driver's side and back windows work perfectly.