Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do I get Rochester Quadrajet jets & metering rod?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Jul 13, 2006.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I always read articles and magazines that talk so matter-of-factly about how "we decided to swap to a smaller metering rod" or "to calibrate the fuel-air ratio, change jets". Yet I've never seen a single metering rod or jet for sale for a Quadrajet. I've recently moved from Ohio to Colorado, and my carb is running even richer at this high altitude then it was before. So can someone tell me where I can get help or parts for my Quadrajet [off a Cadillac 500]? :confused:

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

junk Yard

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

So are you saying that different models and years had an assortment of different parts, and that I just need to find a carb with the one I want? Is there a chart or list somewhere that you know of?

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

How to...Rochester carbs by Doug Roe
    ISBN; 0-89586-301-4

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a GOOD parts house..

Any GOOD parts store that has access to the AC-Delco parts line should be able to get metering rods and jets for you..when I worked at parts store here,we had to special order them from a distributor in Boston,but we could get them the next day,as long as they had them in stock...

BUT,this was 10 years ago--so perhaps warehouses have stopped stocking carb parts,since now they are considered "antiques"!!..I'd assume some of them still have "old stock" kicking around,especially in the more rural parts of the USA...:crazy:

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Edelbrock makes metering rods and jets, but they are all too rich for Colorado altitude. I got mine from a place in Denver (who I would not particularly recommend). Search online, you should be able to find some. My Q-jet, which was calibrated for Denver altitude from the factory with a stock 350, had IIRC 63 jets and 39B metering rods (to give you a pretty good starting point).

**EDIT**

Here's one
    http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I've got a 10.2:1 454 BBC, that's why I have to have that 800CFM monster carb off the Cadi 500. I'm not sure those metering rods would work. My carb is larger then the largest ones listed in the Rochester carb books I have. Or are all the metering rods the same [as in they all function in all the different Quadrajets]?

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I have some info and links I think will help but will have to dig it up this weekend. I will try to get to it and get it posted if I don't have to work. The Doug Roe book is a good starting point for education.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe there was a difference in the rods based on a year split (man its been awhile since I've messed with them!) but the jets are the same. Of course this excludes the '81-up CCC cars and CA-only truck CCC setups, which were entirely different.

Only two carb sizes were the 750 and 795/800CFM (same carb, different sources call it different) which was different only on the primary side.

10. 1977k5

Well, your first action should be to take apart your carb and see what jets and metering rods are in there. You also need to know what year this carb was made (as dyeager said, after *I think* '74 they changed metering rod design). I would put a jet that is 2 sizes smaller than what is in there and see how it runs.

11. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

According to the numbering system on the carb, it's from a '77 Cadillac 500 with a manual transmission. However, when looking for rebuild kits at the auto parts store, there were no Cadi's in '77 with a 500, so I always have to get the kit for a '76 500 [from a Seville if I remember].

12. 1977k5

Since you have the later version, primary metering rods are more difficult to find because edelbrock doesn't make them. As I said before, try going down 2 sizes on the primary jets and see where you are. If you need to lean it out more than that, you will need to switch metering rods as well.

13. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status