Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do I get this part?!?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkulzNBonz, Aug 26, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I assumed it was a tie rod end, but I must be mistaken. What I'm talking about is the end that connects the tie rod (?) to the driver's side wheel. The end also has a point to connect the steering stabilizer. According to both Autozone and O'Reilly's, this isn't a tie rod end, but I can't remember what they called it. This is of little consequence, since neither carry them, or have the part in their warehouse. What is the part actually called, and where the hell can I get one? BTW, this is a D44 axle. Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks for the help!

John

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It is a tie rod end, and those parts stores are dumbasses. My local Napa store had every variety in stock.

3. SkulzNBonz

I figured as much! To NAPA after work it is. Thanks much.

John

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Funny, I bought mine at Autozone 2 yrs ago. And it's called a tie rod end. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

6. SkulzNBonz

I think that perhaps either I confused the auto parts guys, or they were stumped as to the whole solid front axle thing. I'm thinking the latter. Anyway, I appreciate all the help. I put some 33's on this weekend, and knew that I was about due to change the tie rod ends. With the extra weight of those tires and steel wheels, they decided they wanted to be changed NOW!!! I couldn't hardly keep the freakin' truck on the road! Thanks again all!

John

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Be aware that there are 4 different tie rods. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

To make sure you get the proper one, take yours off or drive the truck to the parts store to compare it to what they have or give you. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. SkulzNBonz

Thanks for the info. Can't hardly drive the truck anywhere like it is right now. I'll yank the tie rod ends and take them with me. Also gonna go through my Chilton's to find out the correct nomenclature of the rod end, so I don't sound like a complete idiot /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif!

John

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

extra weight of the wheels /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

i dried those things out at laketex's for a few months so they would shed some pounds /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

so, you got them painted and on the tires huh? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. SkulzNBonz

Yeah, I got 'em cleaned & painted, and mounted the tires Friday. I knew the tie rod ends weren't long for this world, but I guess that was the straw that broke the camels back! I got after tightening everything that could be tightened (ubolt's) with little effect. Can't hardly keep control of the truck at anything over 25 mph. Hit a bump and the truck started shakin' so bad I thought the front wheel was comin' off. Wheel bearings are ok, so tie rod and ball joints are my next logical step.

John

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it is just a tie rod

I hope you are not describing your first 'death wobble' experience
    good luck in pinning it down

12. SkulzNBonz

NAPA had exactly what I was lookin' for, and understood when I explained it to her . NAPA calls them outer tie rod ends, Oreilly calls them steering arm to steering arm t rod ends, and they want double the $$ that NAPA wants. Thanks for all the help.
    MJ; I thought the same thing, but why would I get the dreaded "DW" when the only thing I changed was the tires from puny 31's to still puny 33's. Granted I did lift it a few months ago, but I've been driving it since then.

John