Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do I put ground straps?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, May 6, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have been going through the electrical system on my k20 and noticed there are no ground straps.....anywhere.
    Sure, the negative battery cable goes to the engine and the engine touches metal to metal with frame and and so on and so forth, but there are no ground straps.
    These things are needed, right? Do I ground the engine to the frame, or do I ground the frame to the body, or both?
    Since I only bought one ground strap, I grounded the engine to the frame using a starter bolt and a bolt in the frame.
    So, should I now ground the body to the frame? If so, where is a good place to do it? I could use a seatbelt bolt and perhaps ground that to the frame. But it's kind of long and the longest ground strap I could find was 15".
    Or I just being anal?
    -- Mike

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I believe you should have a ground strap going from the engine block to the body. The motor mounts isolate the engine from the body/frame with rubber giving a bad ground for the rest of the vehicle.
    Not having a ground from the engine to the body can cause electrical problems espically on computer controlled vehicles.

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

if you really want to do it right i suggest that you go from the battery to the engine/frame/and body. when they all connect at the battery you will never have the chance for a difference in ground potential that would cause electrical problems.
    i believe that my factory set up had a 6awg wire to the engine and a set of 8awg going to the frame and body. you can check out someof the picks that i have you should be able to find one with how the wiring is laid out.
    anthony

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I ran 1/0 from my battery to the alternator bracket. I have 4 guage from my other negative terminal to the frame. I ran the same place on the frame to the firewall and to the core support with 12 guage. You can never have too much ground. Electricity flows from negative to positive so a good ground is very important. I suggest wire wheeling contact points for a good connection. Spray paint over connections to clean up the appearance and prevent corrosion.

5. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

I noticed when I jerked out my diesel that there where 3 ground straps. One from pass. battery to alt. bracket, 1 to the frame on bottom drivers side, and 1 from the intake manifold to the firewall.

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

"Electricity flows from negative to positive"

Uhh, it does?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes. That's the accepted theory in this country. It's called the "Electron Theory." Current always is thought to flow from negative to positive.

What is thought is that electricity is the flow of electrons. Since electrons are much smaller than protons, we think that it's MUCH easier that the electrons are the moving particle in an atom.

In Europe, they think the opposite is true, but, in every school on this side of the big pond called the Atlantic, yes, electricity flows from negative to positive all the time.

Honestly, no matter which theory is correct, it doesn't really matter....electricity only flows in a complete circuit, and it doesn't really matter which direction it's flowing as long at it IS flowing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Would anyone out there like custom cut 1/0 wires with solder connections? You can see what my wiring job looked like on my web page the connections that are soldered are the metallic looking ones there is a picture of them on the desk so you can see what they look like.
    Let me know if there is any demand for this. When I redid my system for dual batteries I ran all of my positive and negative cables with 1/0awg my thinking is that no matter what I add in the future winch, aux lights, air compressor, etc etc my main battery lines should never need to be replaced in order to handle the load.
    The other good thing about these connections is that when they are done none of you wire is exposed unlike most crimp on connections that will eventually oxidize from being exposed to the elements and your batteries chemicals.
    Anthony

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Run the strap from the back of a head (one of the accessory bolt holes) to one of the holes on the firewall. Thats where mine is, and thats where the diesels was before it, and it has caused no problems. The battery may be grounded to the fender or core support as well with the - batt. cable, but I'm not positive.

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Yes sir, it does. According to the Whole Flow theory, electrons flow from negative to positive. That's why when you use a diode in an electrical circuit, the input side is turned toward negative. If you revesre it, you will not have a completed circuit. I believe that 72THING would back me on this if you want to ask him....he knows more about electronics that I do.

11. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

The way that it breaks down is that the convention is to assume that the positive flows to the negative because before they completly understood what was going on they assumed that this was the correct theory. It is true that electrons flow from the negative terminal out to the positive. So when you’re discussing flow you just need to state whether you’re talking about convention or practical.
    Anthony

12. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

And right you are sir.

I never knew this. Somethin new every day huh?

13. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It has been cool to hear everyone's explanation of electron flow. I'm glad we all agree. Next thing you know everyone will be reciting Ohm's Law. It's cool to see that we all agree. I know the characteristics of electricity, but some of the exact reasons why it does what it does have left me.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I believe the input side of a diode would be called the, "anode" and the output would be the, "cathode".

I think what you're trying to say is that the arrow part of the schmatic symbol points to negative, which is absolutely correct.

What makes no sense at all to me is that the little arrow points towards the negative, which is the opposite of the direction that the current is actually flowing.

I actually like electricity. Once you understand it, it's REALLY easy. It just seems intimidating sometimes. I took 2 years of electronics in school, so at this point, a small electrical problem is easy to take care of for me. Everything in a car is 12 v DC which is about as easy as it gets. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

seslick 77 has it right.

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

A very tactful way of proving me "correct". Thanks for clearing it up. I'm much more up to speed on my application than on book knowledge and theory. Thanks for the good info.

17. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Dorian, I rechecked my wiring diagram and I noticed a small ground strap listed as going from the head to ground.
    I did like you suggested and use a rear accessory bolt hole on the pass side head and grounded it to the firewall.
    Headlights are bright now! Thanks for the info.
    -- Mike