Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where do i start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justice87, Jul 29, 2006.

1. justice87

justice87 Registered Member

I've got a 87 k-5 and I'm trying to figure out where I should start. Should I rebuild the tbi 350 to a 383 stroker or should I go with a crate engine. A lot with that I want to lift it and stick some 38's on it. I don't do major 4wheeling yet because it's my dd. Any suggestions?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats a real broad question... Only you know the truck and what needs upgrading the worst...

I'm in the same situation, 350 tbi, gonna go stroker at some point, but the tbi runs good and solid, so I'm concentrating on running gear, floors and peripherals for now... Making sure it's solid and reliable...

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Skip the 38's if it's a daily driver.

4 inch and 35's would be just fine for a DD.

4. pitbulls'n'blazers

pitbulls'n'blazers Registered Member

I asked the same question about 6 months ago.:D and there are a lot of ways to go. One way, a couple of guys told me was to fix any problems and get it running in top shape before doing any mods. Another, is to find out what kind of wheelin' your going to be doing like,mud boggin,rock crawlin' ect. and setup your truck to fit your off roading needs. I'm pretty new to all this myself so I really can't tell ya about the 38's other than I think 35's would be I think better for a dd.I have an 87 K5 myself and I'm going to put 35's on it with no lift, just some fender trimming. I like the TBI's, I think they run pretty good.

Good luck with your rig!!:saweet:

5. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

The most important thing is to get it running good first. You'll get to know it that way. Then look at mods. 38s are a little big for a DD, but doable. You're gonna need one-tons for them though.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

need more info. Does the 350 run like poop (or not run at all!)??? If not, I wouldn't mess with it. Going 383 will be expensive... if the 350 ain't broke, $pend your hard earned $ elsewhere first and bling out the engine last.

j