Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landsmasher, Mar 25, 2002.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

78 K5 stock federal vehicle. OK, now where do I go? After the tailgate problem is fixed, what is the first and most productive thing I can do to this truck? I'm thinking 1 ton driveline and a 4" lift. I still have lots of miles left on my 33X12.5 tires so am I on track with the driveline mods? Or should I be concerned about something else first? (body work can wait)

2. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Very "eco-friendly" name you got there.j/k /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    How is the truck mechanically, engine, brakes, tires...etc
    If all that is sound, then I think a lift is a good place to start. 1 ton running gear is also a good place to start, since everything is stock you will need new rims and tires anyway
    Good luck and take lots of pictures of the work in progress

Chris

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Looks to me you are on the right track. Lift, 1 ton, etc. Like mentioned before, make sure everything is sound on the truck before you start spending $ on other stuff. Also you won't need new tires with the 1 ton drivetrain, but you will need new rims. Unfortunatly the right size rims aren't offered in any cool styles. They are only offered in the white spoke wagon wheel, or custom rims. So if you are into fancy rims then new tires will be in order after the 33's wear out.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if I have said it once, Ive said it a thousand times... go 1-ton first... then take care of the other poop. It literally is all down hill from there!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

5. landsmasher

Mechanically, the truck is in GREAT shape. Rebuilt 350 has 15k on it and runs strong. It's even got new dual exaust system. I need to remove the air conditioning system and add a fan shroud and another battery. Electrical needs a little work just to clean things up a bit. I'll take lots of pics during the project. Thanks for the help.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you are like me you and do alot of wheel'n at night you need some lights.

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

If you get the one ton stuff first like me, you will be broke like me, and the other stuff won't matter cause you can't afford it anyway. I can't wait till I can afford my lift and put my axles in.

8. landsmasher

Broke? LOL! I'm already broke... I plan on using the "Debt Management Theory". Put yourself in debt and THEN worry about how to pay for it. More insentive that way. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif