Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do I start?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Blazerlady, Oct 22, 2002.

1. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

For Christmas I would like to give my boyfriend a start on the offroad adventure and don't know where to start. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Can you guys tell me what would be the best way to start? Hopefully I will be able to afford it. Could you tell me about how much you are talking about, too? And where to go for it? Thanks. He just loves to tell stories of his old field beaters he had when he was a teenager. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    What he has now: 87 Blazer 305 5.0L V-series TBI 15" tires. Don't laugh. We all have to start somewhere. LOL

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I would love to have my wife get me anything for my truck!!Heck I'm lucky that I get to park it in the driveway!You have to think what he/you wants the K/5 to do...i.e. rock crawl,mudder,desert runner or just all around 4 wheelin'.Easiest thing would be a nice set of tires/wheels,after you figure if you'he wants a lift on it.I will always welcome a woman to the 4 wheelin' fun we have here!What a lucky guy you have!!Mike

3. 87Blazerlady

Thanks Mike----I feel I'm lucky to have a man that wants to include me.........for starters, I think just all round 4 wheeling then maybe muddin. Would love to get Down and Dirty. LOL---So, lifts and tires/wheels. I don't think extravegant or cheap either. Something in the middle would make him happy. Are there kits?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You are not married yet are you?
    /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Well he's a lucky guy.
    Are you looking to buy him a truck or modify your truck to suit his needs?
    Kits nowadays are plentyfull. you have kits for almost anything you can imagine, just say it and someone here will help you find it.
    You have to know what kind of wheeling you want, what kind of driver HE is. Some people here say you can't go rock crawling with big tires and 1/2ton gear, I do it, but my right foot is not heavy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    So if you know what he's like and what kind of terrain you have around you in PA then tell us, if you don't know ask someone on this list that is from your area, he can give you better advise.
    Keep your options open, I have relatives in PA I could move there

5. 87Blazerlady

iceman

I think he would like to modify what he has. I'm getting a car so I think he will feel more free to do that.
    Here's what I know about him. One time we went to Potter County and met up with this other couple that had these little 4wheelers. BTW they are fun but dangerous. I drove one for the first time and went over the bank by accident. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Scared the bejesus out of me but what an adrenaline rush. I didn't know how to stop that thing. They told me I could have broke my neck. Haven't been on one since........But Leo took one and climbed a hill. So I think he would like the woods and hills. He is a hunter and fisherman and just loves the outdoors. I know he is not a rock climber. His truck is a 1/2 ton.

No, not married yet. Been with Leo for 6 yrs., now. He's forcing me to keep my options open, I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    You have alot of options when it comes to lift.Uhh I would say to go with "SuperRide front springs,Hill Bros. extended front shackles,a rear shackle flip,and good shocks,extended brake lines.Then the tires and wheels,GoodYear MT/R's or BF Goodrich M/T's are a good,long lasting tire on a steel type rim(cheap and strong).Are you after looks and/or function?I'd be after a 4" lift( not a whole lot of mods required) and 35" tires.Maybe some recovery tools,i.e.Hi-Lift jack,pull strap,tow hooks.After you install all the goodies,you tend to go to worst/better trails and that always leads to stucks(it's the only way to wheel!).Heck all my adventures have to lead to some kind of "stuckage" otherwisw it's no fun!If that "man" of yours won't marry a girl like you,I have a brother that will(and he has an K/5 too! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).Mike

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

How much are you looking to spend?
    I seem to recall PA lift laws are a little tought and activly enforced. Might want to check into them before buying parts.
    Well lifts for these trucks are cheap. Goto www.offroaddesigne.com and talk to this goofy guy named Stephan. He can hook you up with the parts to do a lift. The EZrides are about the flexiest on the market and relativly inexpensive. Stephan is a supernice guy and will take the time to help figure out what your looking for and is about the best price around.
    Before you spend cash there join www.coloradok5.com . Stephan gives discounts to CK5 Members and a lift kit discount would pay for your membership here in savings /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    The rear you have several options. For max off road performance the ORD shackle flip is great. The shackle flip does cause a change in road behavior so if you tow with this vehicle you might want to go with lift springs instead.
    Now here is Grimmys guidline to building trucks.
    GEARS BEFORE TIRES. I can't tell you how many posts I have read that start out like this. My tranny just died, My tranny won't go into drive, my tranny wont go into gear, my tranny lost second gear, my tranny this My dranny shudders, my tranny that. Then next thing I figure out is what gears and tires this person has. It' usualy reads 3.08's and 33's or 35's. Basicly the large tires put so much load on the tranny it fried. You MUST do the gears when you chang tires. If his truck has Overdrive then I would recomend 4.10 gears from tires through 33. 4.56 gears for tires from 33-38. 4.88 gears for 40.
    No Overdrive then 4.10 for 33-35. 4.56 for 36-38. Please take this advice and save yourself $1k for a transmission rebuild. Gears are the most expensive part of any build up if your not able to install them yourself. I don't know what people are thinking when the go...gears are too expensvie right now .I'll run my new 35 inch tires with my 3.08's. When they fry the tranny they just spent about what the regear would cost.
    Some other parts I highly recomend is the ORD Steering brace and ORD Sway correction/disconnect kit if dropping the cash on a lift kit is a little out of your price range. Both these parts will improve even a stock trucks performance. THe brace does wonders even on the street. HiLift and a HiLift mounting bracket is alwasy a must have, A 20K 30ft Recover strap is a must have for any offroader. Every guy wants a GPS! Don't get a bottom of the line but a mid range one. I'm liking the Garmin GPS V. has built in road maps and does all the nice stuff you could ever want off road. www.gpsnow.com has pretty good prices as well as good product information. If you also Hike you might look at the E-Trax models. They are a little more compact and hiker friendly.

8. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

oder a catalog from 4 wheel parts you can see all the products they sell and the prices so you can get an idea of what things cost$$$$$ also a lift kit and tires and rims are a good place to start> . any more like you around i ned a few things? goodluck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:stalker mode on:you have a boyfriend? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif:stalker mode off:
    When I first got my K5 and got the new tires on it, I did some mild wheeling with it and was able to get into some nice spots without over doing it.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I know exactly then what he needs. A mild lift 3-4", nice average tires 33-35" steel wheels and recovery gear.
    This should be fine for getting there not conquering this.
    Some people here like to conquer rocks and waterfalls /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    He just needs something to get him to this nice remote lake or river to fish, or hunt, or camp.
    Do you like that too? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Well I see that almost everybody says the same here so you can read them all and get your advise.
    If you're looking to buy him one or more of these things, get him lower gears, and he will get the lift and the tires. That is what most people think of first so you will be filling in the gaps.
    And if you feel this is going nowhere, PM me

11. 87Blazerlady

Mike
    I didn't even think about recovery--thanks for that reminder.
    I am taking notes of everything you guys tell me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Looks or function---I think he probably would want both.

12. 87Blazerlady

Grimmy
    I want to join and not just to save money, even though that is great. But I would join even if I wouldn't get discounts because the help and all around fun I'm having here is worth more than gold. So hopefully soon I will be turning orange.
    I can't believe I actually pretty much understood what you were telling me, equipment wise. Although I'm not sure yet of the order and what goes in along with something else.
    For example, can you put 33's on with ORD Steering Braces and ORD Sway Correction/Disconnect kit or do those tires need a lift kit? I understand that it is GEARS then wheels/tires...but..... can the gears be put on and then 3-4 wks later put the lifts on and then 3-4 weeks later do the wheels/tires? or wait til we have everything? I think I better do what you said and talk to stephen about it. Probably would be easier for all of us that way. right? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll drive ya nuts. LOL

13. Grim-Reaper

HAY GUY\"S RPO CODE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the lift is first to clear bigger tires. You can clear 33's stock if you cut the lower edges of the fenders off.
    These trucks are extremely capable bone stock with a set of good tires. Disconnecting the sway bar off road even stock makes them even more capable.
    The Steering braces is a peice that stiffens up the frame at the steering box. The frames on these trucks flex a LOT. The flexing eventually leads to metal fatigue at the steering box mount section of the frame. Larger tires and more agressive off road travel acclerate problems in that area. The brace will help prevent the frame from cracking in that area. It does improve on road feel a great deal also. I could not believe the improvement felt the first time I drove my truck after installing it.
    If you want to start with tires then a set of 32's will fit without cutting most cases and even with 3.08 gears it's not horrible but I really think you might want to get the gearing changed before you go much bigger than 32's. If the truck has 3.42's or 3.73 then that would not be too bad with 33's.
    In the glove box of the truck is a sticker with a bunch of codes on it. One of those codes will be for the gearing. My trucks are pre those codes. Hopefully somebody that has those codes will pipe in and let you know what codes are for what gears.
    What is your Budget for X-Mas? If your around $200 then I would look at some recovery gear first. Here is a list of aproximate prices.
    HiLift About $50 for a 48 inch.
    HiLift Mounting Brackets $20 for the LocRac
    Recovery Strap 2x30 is a good size and about $39. I like "Keeper" brand.
    Truck should have front tow hooks but probably doesn't have rear. Tow hooks are Cheap stocking stuffers for simple bolt on hooks looking about $12 for a pair. If his truck has a reciever tow hitch Several companies make a recovery mount for those and they are nice. It simply slips into the 2x2 Hitch and has a Shackle on it. They run about $35.

14. 87Blazerlady

iceman
    yes, I do like to camp and fish. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I did try the hunting. I am pretty good with the bow with target practice...but...when a buck looks into my eyes, I just melt. They are so beautiful. I can't do it.

Hey, now the waterfalls sound great but I don't know about the rocks. Thanks for the help.

15. 87Blazerlady

Re: HAY GUY\"S RPO CODE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grimmy
    I think I may be able to swing between $300-400. He deserves it. RPO'S: Here's what I have that I feel you may need in determining what Leo will need:

GQ1-axle, rear, std ratio
    GU4-axle, rear, 3.08 ratio
    D1G-gear, speedo driven
    C5M-GVW, rating, 6100 lbs.
    JB5-brakes, power, disc/drum 6400 lbs.
    N41-NP 203 fulltime 4WD transfer case
    another site said for N41-power steering variable ratio
    NY7-transfer case shield
    MXO-th700 transmission, merchandised with O/D
    MD8-transmission auto 4spd THM700R4
    X6Z-hub, locking automatic front
    ZW9-body equipment, base body or chassis

these RPO's I couldn't find over the internet:

B3W, CMD, E6C, E9Z, SLM, V73, XFM, YD3, YD5, YD6, YFM, ZFM, 66K

I like your suggestion of the recovery equipment first. 2nd thing should probably be to get wheeling buddies. LOL
    We will be brand new to this, except for Leo with his field beater days. Sounded like a real Dukes of Hazard situation. He said him and his buddies would go looking for the cops. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    thanks

16. 87Blazerlady

bklynlifted----order catalog from 4wheel parts---That's where Stephen is, right?

hey, do you ever come out to PA. for fun? If yes, where do you go? Ever any events? I haven't seen much in the internet, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Although, I LOVE N.Y. I was born near Syracuse. Lyons, NY. only lived there 2 yrs. but have visited alot.
    Thanks for the advice.

17. 87Blazerlady

Boudreaux

Look at my profile. You better have that stalker mode off. I'm still deciding if I'm going to vote for you or not. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Vote for me for what, A**hole of the Year? go right ahead, I need all the help I can get. As for stalker mode, it's always off unless I'm looking for Bambi Kong.

19. Grim-Reaper

Re: HAY GUY\"S RPO CODE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That truck has a 208 case the N41 is for the steering option.
    3.08 gears...stay with stock sized tires till you get the gears. I know a lift and big tires is a big want but that tranny will die if you put the tires on before the gears.
    Get rid of the auto hubs. They are junk and fail often. I would go with Warn premium hubs. About $85 at Advance auto.
    If the truck doesn't have a AUX tranny cooler I would hit Pepboys and get a Hayden Stack plate cooler kit. Comes with everything you need to install and will go a long way to increasing the life of the transmission. The truck may already have a aux cooler and one of the codes you didn't find may indicate the cooler.
    I love shopping for x-mas 4x4 parts with somebody elses money /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    If it were my truck I would get the brace, hubs, Hi Lift, Snatch strap and hooks. That would be about $300 with tax. If you want to go to $400 the add in the sway disconnects. That would get the truck pretty well set up for the woods. I would also get 20ft of 5/16 chain with hooks and a couple clevises.. The reason for this is the chain, strap and clevis can turn a HiLift into a winch in a pinch.
    The Chain, hooks, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40461

Brace http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm
    Sway dissconect http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/swaybarkit.htm
    Jack http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=13293&categoryId=0
    Clevis...get two http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=391188

20. 87Blazerlady

Re: HAY GUY\"S RPO CODE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grimmy
    Glad you had fun spending my money! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Yeah, Leo has already done work on the hub.
    What RPO told you the Blazer has a 208 so I can fill in that gap on my list?
    Oh and I forgot to tell you it has RPO N67-Rally Wheels (1/2 ton trucks only) are they anything special?

Does anyone know the following RPO's:

B3W, CMD, E6C, E9Z, SLM, V73, XFM, YD3, YD5, YD6, YFM, ZFM, 66K

I appreciate all of your help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Thanks