Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do these hoses go?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 5, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I need to buy some really good, detailed books on how to repair my truck. Books with lots of pictures, color ones would be awesome, but any pics, drawn or black and white will work. I need them to explain things like as if I was 5 years old. I went outside and played around with my truck all evening, and discovered, when taking off stuff, it's nice to know where to put it back... I have two small hoses from around the carb area, no clue wtf they go now... doh.... but really, I have no idea what books would be good. Some recommendations would be nice so I can check them out, and see if they are what I need. Something they can say, hey ya dork, your freaking hoses go right here! I hit Borders, and they had about a lot of books, nothing really stood out, but then again, I only looked at maybe 10 books out of the 500 sitting there.... any help, is appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I scanned the hoses, and was wondering where they go? Just wondering if anyone will reconize them, and be able to tell me the genreal area to check out where they belong. One is a hard line.... the other, looks like a q-jet line, but I can't find any place where it would have come from...? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Repair books, what ones are any good?

Chiltons and Haynes make decent repair books. They are aimed at people with limited knowledge and do have plenty of pictures and drawings. I have one of each for 73-87 GM trucks...

They only suck if you're looking for real tech like how to rebuild your 700R-4, or doing a gear swap in a diff. They do get reasonably in depth with most everything else though and often the pictures really do help get you on the right track.

Most auto parts places sell them. Around here they run from $12-$30.

Rene

3. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    Chiltons and Haynes make decent repair books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have those, and they are not really enough as far as detailed pics... they have lots, just not of everything. Like these hoses, I can't see the detail well enough to figure out where they came from... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

One thing if you go down to a big auto parts place they have little colored spring clips. When you take a wire or hose off you put a clip on each end to know where they go. For a manual I like the factory '77 chevy service manual I bought in '81.

5. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

you can go to the dealer and get a print out on the hoses for free. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Steph, I have Chiltons, Haynes and the factory service manual, and I think the service manual explains things very well, and it's not complicated. Has pics / drawings. I also have Auto Repair for Dummies, as it is really my speed as far as overall comprehension goes. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think that you probably can't go wrong getting as many different books as you can. But if I had to go with one, I'd get the service manual.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I've done the Haynes and Chiltons... good for the common canned tasks - not for details. The factory service manuals are probably the best thing going. I get them at swap meets - usually $10-$30 range.

8. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The GM manuals are the most detailed...
    I was lucky to find a 77'GM manual at the last swap meet.
    I paid $42... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Chiltons, Haynes aren't bad. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have found they ALL have some usefull information....
    You can't go wrong by starting a collection!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Once you get a factory service manual, you'll notice the Haynes uses a lot of the same info, just not all of it.

Same deal with the ATSG transmission manuals.

Hemls/Factory Service Manual are the best things going. All in 1 manual.

10. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    With me in the advanced stages of CRS, I have found the most beneficial recent addition to my work bench is my digital camera. With the previously mentioned tags, I always try to take "before" shots of my projects that involves more than one wire. With most on here always asking for pics, a digital is useful for pics other than the grandkids. Its like "read the directions" when all else fails. It is so nice to snap the card in the puter, look, and say "oh yeah, I remember now".

BH.

11. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I picked up a Helm factory service manual for my Camaro and that thing is huge and full of info. If you can get your hands on one of those your set. Good luck.

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Any repair/service manual is good to have as a reference but the ones intended for light repair do leave out some valuable detail in great length. I like the factory service manuals myself , published by Helms , and the professional repair manuals published by Mitchel and others like it . These are very detailed and specific to each product instead of blanket coverage.
    As U2Slow said , the swap meets and car shows are a GREAT place to find these books at a great price.
    You may want to also look into some aftermarket book by HP to add to your collection . They are not dealing with factory specific lines but they have several editions that might deal with what you are working on and they might help educate you on a certain project .
    Good luck , Tom

13. rdwest1369

rdwest1369 Registered Member

Lloyds automotive literature at http://www.lloydsautolit.com
    will sell you a reprint of the factory shop manual for$59.00 plus shipping includes detailed wiring diagrams only took about a week to arrive
    hth
    RichW

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Mitchell is what you see in the repair shops, here anyway.
    nothing is gonna be as detailed as asking someone, on here, who has done it as the books assume you are in the industry seeing this stuff daily

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

When in doubt, use your basic senses... eyes, nose, and (well , dont use taste in this situation!)

the red one looks like a tranny dip stick piece. The other one could be anything, but it looks to be around the angle of a bend of the body by the firewall. thats my guess.

I'd take a coat hanger and wrap some cotton gauze at the end, and run it through the hose (only works if they are used). usually, there are trace amounts of whatever used to flow through there. Follow your nose... if it smells a little burnt and the swab comes out dirty, its an oil line. If it seems too clean, maybe a bit o rust, its probably a gas line. If it a little red, its probably atf!

Just my two cents... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. ChevyCaGal

The red one, plastic (like a q-jet line best way to describe it) is maybe 10" long, and is maybe 3/16" in size?

The blue one is maybe 1/4" and a hard line, so I can't bend it out to get an exact length, but I'd say 16" long? Has rubber on the ends to connect them...

17. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

do you still have the factory sticker in front of the radiator. the one that shows the smog. or a picture is worth a thousand guesses. don't have any red or blue lines on my 85. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The red one, plastic (like a q-jet line best way to describe it) is maybe 10" long, and is maybe 3/16" in size?

The blue one is maybe 1/4" and a hard line, so I can't bend it out to get an exact length, but I'd say 16" long? Has rubber on the ends to connect them...

[/ QUOTE ]

steph

if i remember right (questionable) the blue one goes to the vaccum canister drivers side coffee can looking thing. wraps around the alternator (?) in a kinda funny way

and the red one goes towards the passenger side into the vaccum thingy back towards the distributor.i want to say the ufo looking one or there is a green (?) electrical connector that has a vaccum port on it. im not very good at technical descriptions can you tell?

had to look at the post twice first there was a pic of a girl and then the vaccum hoses came up. hope this helps

nathan
    69K5

19. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Looks like you were doing a little more than "playing around" with your truck. More like "this is in the way...and so is this one...and how bout this pretty one"
    j/k /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The blue one looks like the hard line from the mechanical fuel pump up to the carb. Should be all steel but it's pretty common to cut it short and put a fuel filter in it. before it goes into the carb.

The other line looks like a line for the EVAP junk. It would go from the cab and possibly T into another line and at some point terminat into the canister mounted on the core support on the driverside next to the radiator.

The sticker on the core suport should be some help. It has all emmisions related Vacuum line routing. Problem is it was a rats nest on the year of your truck. might not be a bad idea to find somebody with the same year truck that hasn't been molested. Get pictures and copy the routing. As bad as your emissions Nazi's are that stuff missing could cause you a visual fail.

I have a factory manual for my 88 and while it's great they are getting hard to come by.