Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do you buy guns?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Oct 2, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Big store (Sportsmans, Cabelas etc) or Mom and Pop type? What's good and bad about your experiences?

I think my gun dealer is an exception to the rule, the guy will order anything you want for $10 over wholesale plus shipping. No BS, just here's the wholesale catalog, you look it up and tell me what you want. He also has more guns in stock (4K!) than the Sportsmans Warehouse and any other dealer in town combined.

The down side is that he's technically a pawn shop, the place is only about 15'X25' in the main store, and you have to wait at least 20 min to get helped, not to mention you may be there when some scrotonian with a stolen circular saw wants to come in and haggle for his meth fix money. Definitely no window shopping, I do that @ Sportsmans and decide and then go get it from Jimmy.

The biggest difference I think is that he actually took a pistol back from me, actually encouraged me to test 200 rounds through it and return it if I wasn't happy. Turned around and exchanged it for full purchase price and even gave me $10 off the new replacement pistol (which had gone up) "'cause it's not your fault the price went up".

Anyway, I was just thinking about this because I've heard so many horrror stories about pistols that did not work right or make the buyer unhappy and they had to take a beating on a "buy back".

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

No big stores . Small mom and pop , yet authorized factory dealers . We got ours here http://www.legendaryguns.com/ . They have everything , handguns or longguns , cowboy stuff too . Gave us 50 rounds of PMC with it for free . A little higher priced than I see elsewhere , but keeps the money in our communities .

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Depends. We have an Army/Navy surplus store here that specializes in military type weapons, or you can go the department store for more conventional firearms. Depends on what I'm looking for.

John

4. Roland_Jenkins

Roland_Jenkins Registered Member

At a slow gun show. I could see it was slow and I overheard a couple of vendors complaining about how bad business was. I went back on the last day and bought a tracker .357 and a remington 870 at a pretty good price :)

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ally behind bar in shaddy part of town. J/K :haha: :haha: I like the smaller type of gun shops. Up in Rapid City, SD. I went to First Stop.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Local shop. I also shoot whatever i am buying first at a local range that rents a wide variety for range practice.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I've bought from gunbroker.com (shipped to local out-of-the-guys-house FFL) and gunshows. Works for me. Gun shows are good because if you don't like the price of a common gun, you can look at a different table 20' away and find the same thing. Competition goooooood. There is a big show in the Portland Expo Center a few times a year... 1400 tables o guns. My wife even likes to go. :thumb:

j

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I never find any great deals at the local gun show. There are some fair deals, just nothing great.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I buy some of my guns at the same place I get my beer and drugs from. My local Save-on drug store. It is a one stop store wehre you can get evrything you need . They have good prices on guns and the cheapest beer in town.
    Get some guns from private party if I can get them cheap. I bought a very sweet shooting LH Remmington 7mm mag BDL with scope and muzzle brake in new condition for $300 form a guy in the paper.

10. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

been super busy man il call you oh and jerrys is the only place i buy

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yep, Jerry is a good guy. I know how it goes man, just drop me a line when you get a chance.

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You know, I used to be big on the gun shows but I bbought some expensive grips for a SAA and then of course, couldn't contact them for exchange when they did not fit. I just got tired of the in and out nature of the shows.

Is it just me or is it odd for a dealer to willingly take a gun back from you, and even more odd for him to encourage you to fire it first.?? Up until last fall I had always bought from Wally world, Sportsmens or Garts and they all have a no return policy.

Oh, thanks for the 205 tech info man! Got it yesterday.