Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do you guys get your tools from??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84CUCV, Oct 21, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had good luck with craftsman power tools and hand tools. I talked to a Snap-On dealer and got scared. That is to much$$$!! What about northern tools? How is there stuff? I would like good made in /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif, but there is such a price difference. I need some things before I do the work on the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. So I am hoping I can get this done soon. Thanks for the help. Mike

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

craftsman works well for me, sometiems i buy ace or autozone brand tools. they stand up to abuse, and craftsman can be returned broke even if you abuse them and torch them apart, you can just bring them back and get a new one, ive seen some that looked like they were torched, and ratchets that had marks from a home-made tube breaker bar, but you can still returen them, they will give you another one, ive put large breaker bars on a 3\8's drive ratchet, they hold up, i have all 6 point sockets, and 6 point wrenches,ive broke one socket because i was taking off my spindle nuts with a 3\8's drive deep well, and extension and a large breaker bar, that was a mistake, then i used a 1\2 socket and ratchet with the breaker bar extension, worked very well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

I make my money with mine. I bought craftsman when I started becouse they where cheaper. Now though I'm going to start buying snap-on becouse thay are a better quality. My craftsman will go to my garage.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I buy Matco. There right there with mac and snapon. But with Matco I get a 52% discount Gotta love going to a technical school /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Anyway, I have been buying craftsmen forever but now with the new discount, I'm buying Matco. For power tools, I never buy craftsmen, too many problems with them. I only buy Milwaukee power tools, except for big tools like table saws and such and then I buy Delta.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Craftsman. I think you're headed in the right direction especially if this is just a hobby for you. Although I'm not too fond of their rachets, everything else has held up wonderfully, and I can take them back to sears anytime, no questions asked. The thing about snap on or mac is that you have to find a truck which may be the trick in itself!

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Craftsman power tools suck? I just bought a 14.4 cordless drill with 2 batteries for $60 new. Thought it was a good deal but maybe not?

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I think it depends on use. If it's something that sits in the garage all week and gets used a few times on the weekends it would probably work out fine. But me, I'm a contractor, I use tools all day. I had a craftsmen 18 volt cordless drill and burnt it up within a week of buying it. When I took it back I decided to get a 1/2" drive plug-in drill, and it leaked oil from the seal between the chuck and motor. So, I tend to stay away now. Does Craftsmen give a lifetime waranty on there power tools? Milwaukee's have a liftime waranty if you buy from Home Depot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

no, i think it's a one year warranty. I'm also a big milwalkee fan, but even better is metabo. I just fell for the low price thing. Anyway, it's just going in the truck toolbox, no contractor stuff here...maybe it'll hold up.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have Snap-On, Craftsman, Master Mechanic and Car Quest brand tools.

I use Master Mechanic and Car Quest tools when I need the tool, if I don't have it, at that absolute moment of need. Simply because I can get them here in town.

Snap-On only comes by once a week, so when a tool breaks, I gotta wait til the truck comes on Mondays. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Craftsman I also stock up on, but like Snap-On, the nearest Sears is 35 miles away, so it depends on when we go to Salina and how soon before I just give up and go get some Master Mechanic or Car Quest tools. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I use snap on tools for my work. I like the quality of there tools and the craftsman ship. I use them 5 days a week 8 hours a day. I have to have a tool that is dependable for the job I am doing. But when I cant get to the shop I have craftsman tools at home.
    Colin

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I go mostly Craftsman, but I do buy some of the autostore brands when I need something for a project. They have worked out well since I usually use them once or twice. Hard use stuff is all Craftsman, can't beat the price, warranty, and quality. Can get better quality with Snap-On and others, but sooooo much money for a home mechanic.

Power tools, I really like my DeWalt 14.4 volt cordless, very nice!

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

nobody likes S-K tools ???

13. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Fortunatly I was a master tech and so I have about roughly 40K in air / hand tools in my basement, shed, dad's garage, and etc,,,, like 4 full rollaways.

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Craftsman has been good to me. Quality, $$$, and warranty are the prime considerations for me. As for power tools, Makita, DeWalt, and Milwaukee are all good.

John

15. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

16. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the help guys!! I have a good idea what to get now. Take care Mike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I like craftsman too, got a DeWalt 18V drill thats working out well for me

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

right now i have all craftsman but when i go to UTI (best auto/diesel colledge out there) in jan i get a 50% discount on SNAPON tools so another couple of years and i'll be just about ALL snapon.

19. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

for the most part i have craftsman...i have a few speciality tools from cornwell..and other one time use tools from harbor freight