Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do you guys in Mass. get inspection stickers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by angrysnowplow, May 28, 2003.

1. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Apparently, the great state of Massachusetts (HA! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) has deemed my truck grossly illegal. I have 4" and 35's. Someone know a place that will pass me preferably in north central Mass?

2. angrysnowplow

Something about the lift law too- one guy told me 2" up or down is as much as you can alter your vehicle. BUT just about every other source of information on the subject uses the formula of lift= wheelbase x wheel track all divided by 2200. I do this math and come up with a little under 4, but this makes me think that 8" is acceptable.(suspension + altitude gained with tires ???) Man o man... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Have you tried putting smaller tires on it? A 4" lift usually isn't a problem at most garages as long as you're running stock sized tires. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. angrysnowplow

I mentioned that but the guy responded with "But the lift is still too high." /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    BTW you going to the climb on Sunday?

5. TruckNutzDude

I'll be at the climb rain or shine... shine preferred /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif Where did you go? I always have bad luck when I go to the big chain stores that do the tests. They're always "by the book", they don't understand what it's like to have a vehicle worthy of keeping for more than 100,000 miles. Maybe try a "Mom and Pop" gas station next time, some place where the guy inspecting your vehicle drives an 83 chevy caprice classic w/ 260,000 miles on the original 305... Those are the places I look for. Either that or look for the younger guy who might take a few extra bills to look the other way /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Good luck anyways, see you at the climb sunday? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Several places in the "hilltowns" in Western MA. will look the other way, as long as the truck is in good mechanical condition and isn't a rust bucket. For the hillclimbs, are you talking about the Quaboag riders hillclimb in Palmer?

If you are interested in that (been there a bunch for the 4WD and cycle climbs), you also might be interested in our club as well www.matpa.org (if you have any questions on it, send me an email at the address on the site).

As for the lift, running smaller tires sometimes helps at certain inspection stations. Also cleaning up the rig beforehand.

7. angrysnowplow

I tried a dealership (only because it is in town) and another guy that was supposed to be pretty easy going according to others...the guy's got three chevy plow trucks hangin' around, so I figured that didn't hurt.
    I know for a fact there is a crooked shop nearby, but I refuse to go there because they broke into the glove box in my Mom's old car. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    And yeah I'll try to be at the climb- but don't be offended if I show up in a Toyota if the truck doesn't pass. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. angrysnowplow

Yeah, I was talking about the Quaboag one, but I thought it was in Monson? I don't really know too much else about it; I've been hearing about it through FatBoyBlazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Well, I guess I'll go give the truck a bath and try a few more places... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I'll let you know how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. angrysnowplow

It passed at a place that does heavy truck inspections too. Apparently those folk are a little more lenient. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

Congrats on the sticker! Glad to see it passed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I won't mess w/ ya if you go in a Toy, I think they're decent rigs and almost bought one a while back. I'm going in my 87 celebrity /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif so if you see a white car w/ naked ladies and a COLORADOK5.COM sticker on the back, that's me... As far as I know it's still in Monson, but I got my info from their web site /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif http://www.quaboagridersmc.com

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congrats on the sticker./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Palmer/Monson, it's all the same to me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually right by the entrance to the hillclimb is a the place that did my pulling motor for me (performance auto). The place doesn't look that great (the bays that he works on vehicles), but he does excellent work.

I've been thinking about doing the hillclimb, but people told me that having lockers front AND rear on my rig will actually cause problems if I start going sideways. The sheetmetal is too new to chance it, but I love watching.