Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHERE DO YOU HAVE THEM? GAUGES, ETC.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sosamantx, Nov 3, 2002.

1. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

hey all, i'd like to see where you all mounted your gauges? i just got my tach and oil pressure, water temp, volt gauge, and i'm trying to figure out where to mount them. i'd also like to see where you mounted your jack, maglight, fire extinguisher, etc. (ie, stereo amps , ac converters)!! if you have pics please post them!! thx

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Transmission temperature gauge - mounted below dash about equal to where your left knee is. It's out of the way and can be seen by simply glancing through the steering wheel.
    Future tachometer - somewhere on top of dash, in line with pillar.

Fire extinguisher - crammed into console
    Maglight - I don't think so, how about "freaking huge 4D flashlight" - also in console
    Hi-lift jack - strategically placed (read: tossed) into back of suburban

Sorry no pics

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I plan on mounting gauges on top of dash infront of steering wheel so I can keep an eye on everything without looking away from the road (or lack of). I've mounted gauges there in sevreal vichiles, works good and looks good aslong as you put a cover on the back to conseal the wires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

come on, there has to be more of you that have pics!! i'd really like to get some good ideas/pics for all!! thx

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

No pics but my gages are mounted in the stock location.
    The tach is centered on the steering column between the speedo and fuel gage.
    Mini maglight in door pouch, 3 celll one in console with a 1,000,000 C/P spotlight.
    When I removed the rear side panels I left the mounting brackets.
    I drilled a 3/8" hole in 2 of them and mounted my hi-lift to them.
    Shovel and axe are beside the gear box

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont have aftermarket gauges yet, but I have a 5in tach mounted on the dash. Just to the right of the drop on the dash. Where its at is right in view but doesnt hinder your view of the road. tach 1 tach 2

8. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

No pics yet but just finished installing in the dash. 2-1/16 will fit into the bezel holes slightly recessed and the 2-5/8 will fit on the surface of the bezel. I used the 2-1/16 from Autometer and installed the Sun mini tach in the fourth previously non-used opening. Lots of work using the Dremel to make them fit but looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif Might get around to posting pics if I can remember how! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    By the way an 800 watt amp fits nicely under the driver seat. Nakamichi head into the dash and 5 disc Nakamichi in the tranny hump, behind the shifter. 10 inch sub in the back in it's own enclosure. Hi Lift is in a Hi Lift bag with two nylon straps holding it up, straps bolted to two bolts that hold down the top in the back. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Nice tach mount...I was looking to put one in the same place. I noticed you mounted it right to the pillar. How did you do that...is it actually screwed into the pillar? Could you fit a drill up there to create the holes? Do you know if you could get a whole gauge cup mount fitted there? (Like the ones autometer uses)

10. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

Do a search for "guage install" there is a really good write up and pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

My oil presuure guage and water temp guages are mounted in the dash above the heater controls in the recessed area, 2 inch sun pro and I taped off and painted the original guages black My tach is to the right of the dash drop behind the center speaker hole wish I had a pic for ya !!!

12. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

I have a temp. guage and fuel level guage in the space where the radio originally was. I mounted my cd player in the center console and cut a piece of aluminum to cover where the radio was. Then I cut two holes for the two guages and ran all the wires. The guages are 2 5/8in. auto meter sport comp. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I've got 2 maglights mounted on the front of my center console, you can get the mounts at a hardware store. When they are turned on they make for good "mood lighting" /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif My CB is mounted between the center console and the driver seat, the mike is mounted on the front of the center console above the flashlights. My tach is mounted on the steering column in front of the speedo, since the speedo is way off anyway, I drive by tach /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    The fire extinguisher is mounted on the back of the center console but will be moved to the rollcage as soon as I finish building it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif A 300 watt amp is mounted to the passenger seat upside down, a 600 watt amp. is mounted to the driver seatr upside down (they are hanging from the bottoms of the seats). There is a "custom" tennis ball T-case shifter handle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Haven't quite figured out what to do with the hi-lift yet. I have bolted some cargo hooks in the cargo area to tie down the speaker box, and any ice chests and tool boxes. Shovels are clamped to the internal spare tire carrier. Road flares are in a bag tied to the spare tire carrier also. This is all for daily light wheeling, you should see me when I am loaded /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I haven't figured out what to do with the jerry cans yet either, thinking of getting a roof basket for a fullsize spare and gas cans.

14. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Hello, I did what Doug M did and installed the tach in the blank space in the dash. I made brackets for the jack and mounted it behind the tire. If I knew how to attach pictures I would.

15. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

heavy4x4,
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner...been out of town for a while and it's amazing how far behind on the posts I got! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep, it's screwed right into the pillar. I pre-drilled a hole and then used a short brass screw and hand screwed it in.

16. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

You put the red filters on those mag lites for "special" evenings?

17. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks.
    Did the mount for the gauge sit pretty flush with the pillar? It looks like a pretty tight fit in the picture. Are only the Sunpro tach mounts like that? If that's the case, I just may have to get that instead of an Autometer.

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

tranny and oil temp mounted under the ash tray that doubles as a mic holder. CB mounted to the right of them.
    Autometer guages ducttaped and ziptied into hogged out stock bezel. it is hella janky.

shovel fits under my seat, wedged between seatbelt mounts.

Luck Buddha with picture of Rita on what is left of my dash.

19. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

pm petakane. he has a pretty sweet set up imho. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It definitely does not fit flush with the pillar. I was trying for a flush fit but the tach would have been pointing too far up into the air. So it's kind of on an angle, screwed in tight enough to hold it in that position -- it's a pretty decent fit though. Haven't had any problem with it "falling" while I'm driving if you know what I mean. I thought about heating up the metal on the mounting bracket and trying to twist it so it would fit flush but I never got around to it. The mounting bracket was designed to go on the steering column or flat on the dash. Hope that helps! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif