Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do you have your spare front axle shafts mounted/ stored???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FWP, Nov 21, 2003.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

I wanted to put them under the back seat, but on my 75, they won't fit /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif .. The rear bed is full of other spares....Any suggestions? I want to keep the back seat installed.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

how about on the back of the back seat?...i keep mine in my garage..heh

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fred has his spare driveshafts back there...

How about a couple of brackets to hold them on the inside of the front fenders? Or the underside of the hood somewhere?

Rene

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

If you have a body lift you can put 3" pvc pipe with caps on the end on top of the frame and put them in there or mount it along the frame if you don't have a body lift.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

put them under the back seat. just make some nice new seat brackets to give you the room you need.
    Grant

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not to the inside of the hood, backside of the bumper? hell get creative, stand them up next to the b-pillars lol

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

When I removed the rear panels I left the mounting brackets.
    On the drivers side I used them to mount the high lift and the right side ones have my shafts tied to them.
    Simple, out of the way and easy to get to.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

All great ideas, Thank you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm going with Grant's idea, gonna give the rear seat a 1" lift. Both side panels are full, as well as behind the seat. No room in the engine compartment.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Are you saying that you have a Hi-Lift jack mounted to those thin brackets that are attached w/ sheetmetal screws? The ones that were designed to hold vinyl covered cardboard in place? If you are, make some better mounts and bolt them in place before someone gets hurt!
    Here is what I did: http://tellicok5.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html Since the pics were taken I have added one more bracket at the bottom of the rear mount. All the brackets are the same thickness metal as the Hi-Lift mounts. All mounting hardware is now grade 5 1/4" or 5/16". The brackets come with ungraded/grade 2 1/4 hardware.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I keep mine in a tool box now. I used to have them strapped to some tie-down rings I mounted at the back of the bed. In the link above you can see one of the rings and a rear shaft. I switched to the tool box after I ditched the top. The splines were getting messed up/rusted.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Yep that is exactly what I am saying. With the Hi-lift sitting on the wheelwell it supports the weight of the lift.
    The brackets I drilled a 3/8" hole in and used 3/8" bolts and wing nuts.
    After 2 years and many wheelin trips they are not distorted, tweaked or have come apart. I see no need to mess with them and will leave them as they are.
    Your concern for my safty is touching though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not to butt in or anything, but in a hard roll or wreck (like the head on variety) those sheet screws will rip out of the inner bed sides and the jack will be a missile aimed at the back of your head (our your passenger's). That's just too much mass/innertia to be held in place by 4 (or 8) sheet screws. Might make the difference between being bruised and walking away, or being carried out in a bag... I know I would be very concerned with a setup like that.