Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do you have your tranny cooler lines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Mar 16, 2006.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'll be plumming new lines for my tranny, and tranny cooler. Should I put everything back where it was stock or should I run along the frame. It just seems where the stock lines run right under the fan shroud is just stupid. And what type of hose should I use for the ext cooler, rubber, or steel

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

along the oil pan and under the shroud is the safest,

why does it seem stupid ?

this is where theyve always run them, with no problem, works fine, if you think you know a better route then do it

good luck

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

You will need to allow for flex and vibration at certain points if you route the steel lines along the frame rails. Also at the cooler you will want to have a bendable line section to allow for flex of the body/core support.

Running along the frame rail is a clean option and there is nothing wrong at all if you allow for movement and support with clamps/tabs every so often.

Tom

4. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

My new trans cooler came with rubber hose, works fine.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I use as much metal line as I can. My last install had a 3" piece of hose at the cooler attached to metal lines, then another short rubber hose where ever flex was needed. Hardline is a little harder to work with, but it retains its shape and will act as a cooling surface. The rubber/metal connections can leak compared to 1 piece designs, but if something gets damaged, it can be replaced in sections. And, some of the connections can be easy to use for flushing or checking pressures.

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

its just last year I had a bad motor mount, and my tranny mount loosened up from bouncing arrround in the dunes, and My fan ended up slicing a hole in the tranny cooler lines

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what tranny cooler lines?

:D
    the best routing ive seen is what bobk did to his k5. SSflex hose from the tranny to the frame, ran it outside of the frame to the core support, then more SS flex to the radiator and cooler.

8. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

If I can ever afford It I am going to run stainless steel braided cooler lines, the stock lines bend in all the wrong places and hang too low.

9. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

It all depends on the radiator support. I ran hard lines differently on each 79 truck i had and both were 350 motors. I had them go along the oil pan off some factory tabs and then follow the lower radiator hose up towards the battery, thru the big hole in my radiator support to the front of the radiator. My other 79 i ran it under the shroud as there was no hole in the radiator support. Make sure it doesnt rub anything that will puncture it due to vibrations as solid lines can work a hole in them.