Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do you keep your guns?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 21, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm in pre-move-in remodeling of my house right now, doing some pretty big and pretty small surgery all over the place.
    I've been quietly (meaning wife shouldn't know) looking for a place I can hide my rifle where I can grab it fairly quickly if needed, but still have it be far from the kids reach.
    One place I've discovered is the cieling of my future bedroom closet. There's about 8 inches between the cieling plaster lath and the roof boards, and it's sloped downward with the roof. I was thinking of making a trap door about 3' long by 2', sort of like an attic door with the folding stair, that would only open about a foot, with a built in holster for up to 3 rifles. Open the trap, slide out a rifle, and I'm in business. I'm thinking I'd make the door out of heavy guage steel, with a key lock required to open it. If I start collecting guns, any more would go in a gun safe. I sorta want and don't want certain people to know I keep weapons in the house...

Any thoughts? Anyone wanna tell my why that's a stupid idea?

And where do you guys keep your guns? Gun Safe?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i keep mine locked in the closet

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I got a old electrical panel from a buisnees.. The big ones.. And put a lock on it.. And painted it.. I trust my Kids.. But I am not to sure about there friends...

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There is nothing better then a gun safe !!! I Have one in my bedroom closet. I also have a ammo case with lock that I use to carry the 9mm in when I go out to the shooting range.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Gun safe that is bolted right next to my bed

6. blazer88k5

blazer88k5 1/2 ton status

Well I live alone and have no kids so that is not an issue for me, if it was I would have them locked in a gun safe with a fire rating. Then keep your home protection gun, the one that you shoot the best with, are comfortable and the most reliable, with the best stoping power!!keep that in a small lockbox beside the bed.. the new ones that that has only a 3 or 4 digit push button lock. Practice drawing your weapon (unload prior to practicing) Make sure your spouse knows how to get to it and how to use it CORRECTLY!! When you leave the home that weapon goes into the safe.

Myself I keep my Kimber Custom II Stainless 1911 45 AUTO right next to my bed, loaded with hydro shocks in a wilson mag. In the next room hiden well but well within reach is a Mossberg Persuader 12 gauge 18.5" with 5 OObuck in the tube 6 on a side saddle and 5 more slugs on the stock!! 6 inches from the shotgun is a bandoleer holding 25 more 00 buck shells. In the living room again well hidding but well within reach is my fanny pack with a Ruger p94 40cal Hydro shocks 2 11 round mags and one ten round mag. and I have a 22cal bolt action rifle in the spare room. WOW all I need is one for the bathroom!!! Damn I shouldn't have sold my smith!! LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

All of our guns except the Glock are kept at John's mom's house- the Army Core of Enginers built her house way back when- and there is a "gun room" on the second floor- it's like a giant safe...

the glock is in our fire box- locked, and has a trigger lock on it...living in VT, we don' t need easy access to our weapons,,,,or better yet, I don't want ANY child to have it.

Brandy

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've always thought that if I or someone did not have any children, a good place to hide a gun would be right behind the head board of your bed. It wouldn't be anywhere where someone could see it when they walked into the bedroom, but just where you can feel and grab it.
    Just fab some bracket or hanger to where you can simply reach your hand above your head while laying down and reach the gun to pull it out. Instant defense! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

All of my guns are now kept in the evidence room at the police station. Kinda hard to get to but at least they are safe. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Supposed to be able to retrieve them in about 160 days... I just hope they are still there when I go for them. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I really don't worry about it cause if they get past the electronically controlled minefield, the three General Electric GAU Gatlings with intersecting fields of fire and the two anti-personnel mines set at waist height at the front door, then I'm dealing someone who's more dedicated than I am and I'll just exit stage left and unleash the "Act of the Prophecy" Home Defense System and head down to the donut shop for regrouping. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Larry - I'm dieing to hear the story on this one!!!

I'm in a similar situation as a few of you - grown kids out of the house. I keep "a little something" in almost every room - except the bathroom, then I just grab the bedroom "hardware". The rest are in a Browning fire proof safe. I can't stress enough the importance of keeping them from the kids. I had a similar experience when Steve was still at home - I trusted him explicitly with guns tucked away in the nightstand, etc., but a few of his friends worried me. I had many long discussions with him as well. The best thing was taking him to the range and letting him see (and feel) what a .357 mag does. That drove home the point! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

How old are your children? If old enough, do they know about gun safety? If so, you could stow your immediate weapon on the top of the inner wall of your closet on a shelf of some sort AT NIGHT. Rest==>>fire-proof gun safe<< Although BRBoudreaux's mine field is a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, all good ideas. I would trust my kids after educating them, but thier friends inevitably in my area (very liberal, anti-gun) might be too curious if one of my kids mentions dad keeps guns in the house.

BRB, since I'll have a lot of walls open, I am actually running wire for a home security system that I hope to tie into other systems, I.E. emergency flood lights when the alarm is triggered, etc...

I would keep any other guns in a fireproof gun safe, but my favorites in the trap door.

On a side-but-related note, I was offered a Belgian Browning .308 today for $675. Is this a good deal?? The guy said it's a $1300 gun with an $800 scope on it, but he's trying to get out of the gun business so he's trying to unload his stock fast (see above regarding long island's attitude towards firearms)... I held it and positioned it, but being in the back of his shop had no where to fire it. It felt realllllllllly nice.... I reallllly want it, and I'm considering selling a couple computers I'm not using to make up the dough for it...

14. landsmasher

Long story so here's the Readers Digest version. Cept for the 357 mag they are all rifles and shotguns. Out for a morning of target shooting at an old military school range that has been used by the locals for over 60 years. Got the 357 loaded and holstered and sitting on the front seat of the truck with the door open and ready for action. While shooting with a 50 cal. cap and ball rifle the cops show up and tell us that this range is now closed. No signs up. The cop askes who's truck that is with the handgun on the seat. Mine I say. Next thing I know they confiscate all my guns, hand me a $500 ticket and tell me I can prolly pick them up in 180 days at the police staion. I guess it's illegal to have a loaded weapon in your truck with the door open on private property. The reason they are not sure about the timing is it depends on when I pay the ticket. Then the 180 day wait starts. If you don't pick them up on time they are then destroyed. God Bless America! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Time to talk to Charlton Heston and the NRA and get them involved. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

By the time the 180 days is up, it may be too late to save yourself or your family, if something wrong were to happen where you needed a gun. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think I'd fight that ticket in court sence nothing was posted , and everything was in plain view !!!!!!!!!!! Out here in Western South Dakota, after the cop checks that you're all leagle, he may ask if he could pop off a few rounds.

17. landsmasher

True. Although I have always hoped that nothing would ever come to needing a gun for protection. I've checked and there is absolutly nothing I can do about getting them back any sooner. And to top it off you need to do it within 5 days of the retrieve date or you lose them forever...

18. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Larry - that REALLY BITES !!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Guess you could ask the burglar to hang on a few months before raping and pillaging your family and home until you get your weapons back! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Ratch - sounds like a good deal on the .308. Check out:

http://pub49.ezboard.com/fthefirearmsforumfrm31?page=1

You might find some helpful info. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. landsmasher

The only one they could rape is my dog or me cus I have no family and as far as pillaging is concerned I live like trailer trash so there is nothing really inviting for them to see here. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And the last time I wish I had my 357 was when the cops were here last. Of course I would have lost that one in the end but at least I would have gone under smiling! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Dude that sucks!!

THanks for the info/opinions all, Behemoth, thanks for that link, I'm going to register later tonight or tomorrow.