Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do you mount your Maglite?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wrathORC, Dec 19, 2002.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've had my 5 cell Maglite sitting loose behind my seat for about a year now. I never mounted it because it was too big to mount vertically and I'd have to mount it too low horizontally. The 5 cell makes a better baseball bat than a flashlight anyway. It was a gift, I'd never bought it if it were me.

Anyway, I've got a pair of 2 D-cell flashlights I'd like to mount somewhere easily accessible. My first thought was like how my Dad mounted his pair of 3 D-cells on his 89, mount them next to the seat by the door. However, I've learned that it's an excellent spot to put my foot when I climb in and out of my truck through the bed.

My first though was to mount them on the door. However, I can't choose a spot. If I mount it towards the front it'll be in my way when I'm in the truck and if I do it towards the back it'll be in my way when I'm getting in and out. If I mount it high in the front it'll be in the knee area and low it'll be in the foot area.

Another thought was to do it in front of the seat on that piece of raised metal but I tuck one foot behind once in a while plus I do keep junk under the seat.

I also contemplated mounting one under the glovebox like a lot of other people have but that piece of metal is really wimpy. Plus, it's in the knee area.

I'd rather put them behind the seat than on the hump.

I know most of you guys have K5s and have that nifty spot just behind the seat to mount them.. but I figure I can't be the only one that's had this problem (even though the search feature claims I am).

Got any ideas?

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

A friend has his mounted on the roof like a grab handle. If I didn't already mount mine vertical right behind the seat.

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

You just need a K5 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I have mine mounted on the front of my center console. My wonderful hubby bought me a 3-cell and the mounts for my birthday last month.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have the Mag-Lite clips screwed to the seat frame (a 2" square tube dealie that I built for the buckets), it's just below the front edge of the driver's seat. </font color>

5. I use to have a 3 cell maglite and it was mounted horizontally directly underneath the steering wheel on the plate that unscrews. It was never in the way. But I was always tired of the dead battery syndrome, so I bought a Streamlite PolyStinger from Galls . It's rechargable and very powerful, measures about 7 1/2 inches and is about $80. It's the one that you see the police using (if you've ever been pulled over /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). I mounted this one on the dash next to the headlight switch in place of the heater vent.

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

If it serves alomost as a grab handle, how do you get the mag out? It sure would suck if the light fell and knock you in the head /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

What about just mounting it on the seat frame like Shaggy did? Also, whats wrong with mounting the maglite in the tranny hump? Those are the two locations I am considering when I mount mine.

7. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Mine is mounted on my belt! I wear it every day. Who needs those big rolly pollies. This one is always at my side, and bright!

8. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

min hangs out im my glove box, or it sits on the floor, if i had to mount it, probably next to my fire extinguisher on the hump in front of the t-case shifter

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Stinger XT, don't need no stinkin mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Check my link below...I tink I have a pic of how my maglite is attached. Maglite makes a holder for it made out of plastic. I mounted my on the back side of my stock center console /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Mag Lite makes a mounting kit that allows you to mount it.. I didn't say he uses it as a grab handle that is what everyone says it looks like... The only thing I don't like about the center hump is that you have to reach way in to grab it. Along the bottom of the seat is where I have my Fire Extinguisher.

12. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Ok, sorry about the misunderstanding. That is a good point about the center hump also, thanks.

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Right by the shifter! You can grab it from both sides of the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine is mounted vertically beside the seatbelt on the Driver's side just below the bed rail.

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

After making a fake Maglite out of cardboard and taping it in all your guys' suggestions... I listened to none of you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Especially you smart*sses that suggested places in a K5 just to mock me. I'd have me a K5 but the only one I've seen in my price range was a $1300 piece of scrap.

Anyway, I tried:
    On a bench seat, the bottom piece of frame. In the way.
    On the floor under the front of the seat. In the way. Can't get junk from under the seat easy enough.
    On the area by the seat where I like to step when I don't want to go wading in the water.
    Where "oh sh*t" handles would go. My cerebelum didn't much care for that position.
    In the middle of the roof. Too far out of reach for short people.
    On the hump. Too far away, especially on the driver's side.
    Kickpanels. I don't have an emergency brake pedal but it's still too close to my feet.
    Under the steering column and under the glovebox. I like my knees.
    Behind the seat. I hate behind the seat because if you've got a passenger they either have to play kissyface with the windshield or you have to be a contortionist.

My solution: The doors. I can only foresee one problem with this: bulbs not liking the abuse. Surprisingly, they don't seem to be in the way of getting in and out.

I tried taking pictures but we got a lot of snow last night and the sun was out while it was snowing. You can see little streamers in the picture--that's the snow coming down. I don't know how to fix them so it isn't overexposed.

Driver door:
    [​IMG]

And since it's just mounted in the same spot on the passenger door (no need to waste dialup-ers bandwidth):
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/misc/interior/maglite_passenger.jpg

16. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Where do you guys get those maglite mounts?

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I get mine at Meijer which is a regional chain. I've heard you can get them at Wally-world and K-mart but I have yet to see them in any of their stores in Michigan. I'm pretty sure you can get them directly from Mag Instrument too. I'd look but I'm on dialup right now and it's slow to even look at the forums.

18. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

here is where i mounted mine
    [​IMG]

19. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Those mag light mounts can also be used to hold your front license plate on your winch roller fairling Spelling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I got my Maglite clips at Home Depot. There's probably one of those not too far from anyone in the US. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif