Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where do you take your stipped down rigs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Aug 1, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am close to getting everything that is worth something off the K5 and was wondering where to take it?

A recycle center, junk yard? I have a clear title, I am sure they will want to see that, but what else should I expect when I turn it in?

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have taken them to the local yard that buy's them for the weight for scrap steel. As a matter of fact taking a pickup tomorrow. No paperwork needed when I take them up there, just pull truck and trailer on the scales, let them get the forklift and haul it off and re-weigh the truck and trailer, subtract from the last weight and bam, they give me money...........They just ask me why I have it and I tell them I am building a truck for crawling, then I hear every mud bog story they know.....

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I usually call the local junk yard and they will pick it up for free. However I will be through stripping my mustang in a day or two and I am taking that one to a scap metal yard and see how much money I get for it there (a little is better than nothing). With that said if you have the means to tow it I would get some cash for it, If you do not then call the local junk yard and have them pick it up.

4. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

does any one scrap axles and frames???

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have..

I've junked a lot of stuff..I only junk axles if they are wasted though,not good ones..I did scrap the 4.10's in my 74 K20 when I junked it last year--they were too rusted to use again,the tubes were so pitted they leaked in a few spots.:eek1: .never had any gear noise though..oh well..:(

Scrap cars and trucks are bringing 110 bucks a ton here right now--so you can bet every old heap is being hauled in..and will make it much harder for us to find trucks to fix up or part out..I've seen 2 one ton 454 trucks go in the shredder in the past month..:doah: --one was a 1994!--both were 2wd,so no Dana 60,but still..2 desireable,rebuildable runing motors scrapped,thanks to the price of gas...:mad: ..left in the truck,for "weight"..guys didn't want the hassle of advertising it,dealing with strokers,or the agony of pulling them out,bringing them to swap meets,etc..:(

Copper is way up too--I scrapped 3 radiators from old trucks I had,56 pounds worth,and 18 lbs of romex wire I stripped from an old house trailer I had,and a few briggs and stratton bare engine cases brought 5 bucks--got 80 bucks for it all together!..90 cents a pound for brass and copper now..was more in the spring,it dropped a little..wish I had a yard full of scrap like I used too,I'd be rich!..:crazy: