Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where does this hose go???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 13, 2002.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Need some help figuring out where a dangling hose connects. Not sure if my rig came this way when I bought it or if it came off at some point. Here’s a pic…

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1332&size=big

The end of hose I am talking about is attached to the hood spring (just to get a good pic). From the end of the hose, you can see that this hose runs then splits, one end going to the bottom of the air filter housing, the other end going to something that I don’t know the name of (labeled what’s this in the pic). You can see that the a/c is missing (rig didn’t come w/ it). Also, there is nothing hooked up to the thermal vacuum switch but it has 3 small half inch tubes on the switch that look like it would accept the end of that hose.

I see 3 possibilities…
    1. This hose really isn’t needed and I can remove it
    2. It hooks up to 1 of the 3 “tubes” on the thermal vacuum switch
    3. It hooks up to the carburetor

Any help would be appreciated.

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I am not sure but it looks to be a cannister for the emishions. I wouldn't worry to much about about it. Just make sure the line is capped off so as to get no vacume leaks. It could also be something for your vacume system. Is there a sticker in your engine compartment?

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

No sticker of course. That would take all the fun out of it!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The unit that is labeled "whats this" is the vacuum source canister for your a/c and heater control gates inside your heater, as for the other hose, i think it runs to the carb, but don't quote me on that.

5. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

I have not delt with a truck older than '82, but all the vacuum lines I have seen running out from the air cleaner have been for the heat riser system (which I also disconnect.)
    When in doubt try searching for your vacuum diagram online.

Mikey

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Looks almost like the hose that opens the thermac in the air cleaner snorkel. On the inside of the filter housing, what do those hoses connect to? If its a small plastic thingy, with "AC" on it, its more than likely the controls for Thermac, if 77's (or that air cleaner) had it.

At any rate, its a source for filtered (no particles) air.

7. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the same canister on my 80' One end connects to the
    air cleaner or to the carb, need to be a constant vacuum
    source. The other end goes into the cab to the heater controls.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Where is the previous owner of your truck? We need to go slap the snot out of him.
    Ok I see what knuckle head was trying to do. It will work. On the side of your carb is a vacuum port with a cap on it. Plug it in there and it will work.
    The hose coming over the A/C box use to go into a T fitting in the top of the intake between the Carb and the distributor. The T fitting is missing I remember from one of your other pictures.

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Is this the vac port you're talking about (w/ the black cover above the white bell housing)? I thought this was just something to adjust the carb with.

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1326&size=big

Sorry for being dense. Between the carb/choke thing and this house/vac/emission thing I'm about to pull my hair out! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

That would be the one. That's where the air cleaner is supose to plug into. The guy put that T in the hose so he could also pull the vacuum needed for the Heat and A/C controls. Right now I think your Heat and A/C is stuck on dash only. you will not be able to pull defrost and floor. Once that hose is hooked back up then the controls should start working.

11. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You are the man, Grim!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

S!!T, I knew I wasn't crazy. Was killing myself looking through Chiltons/Haynes and the vac diagrams -- nothing was matching up. Now I know why! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

grim,
    i have that t fitting, hose, everything. i still have little or no defrost. my fan kicks air out in everything but defrost. have any ideas ?

13. Grim-Reaper

When you slide the lever back and forth does the floor vents turn off and on?
    Has the heater core ever been replaced?
    On the driverside up by the gas peddled is the vacuum servo that operates the floor vent. Take the glove box out and the Servo for the defrost is back there. My guess is that if the core was replaced one of the hoses didn't get installed. That will also creat a vacuum leak and give you a run problem on the engine. Quick test for a Vac leak is pinch off the hose going over the blowe box on the fire wall. If the idle chages you have a vac leak somewhere and most likely it why your defrost doesnt' work. The Inside out side air control Servo is in the cowel on the passengerside. Weather and stuff may have rotted out the hoses or rusted through the servo body up there.